Chapter 29

Isha

Prince High Horse: The Queen likes shrimps. It's a possibility that she will be offering you snacks made from or with shrimp during the evening meeting.

A strangled groan leaves my throat. I despise eating shrimps. The taste just doesn't suit me, but it is not like I can just tell Queen Veronica on her face, "Hey Your Majesty, I hate shrimps, unlike you." Oh no no, that would be equal to committing a national crime. Especially in this scenario where the present Queen of Syncitia has personally extended an invitation for me to attend her exclusive evening tea. The email that I was sent from Nirvana stated that the Queen organizes these small social gatherings with a few chosen ladies, once in a while. I am not rich, popular, or even belong from an aristocratic family. Of course, she cannot call me to have a meeting as mother-in-law and daughter-in-law, considering the fact she is aware of our fake relationship.

Then why. Why. Just why.

I slide back to the messaging app when the ping sound alerts my phone of another incoming message. Probably from Calix.

Prince High Horse: I am aware of your distaste towards shrimps. Do not worry, the Queen won't mind. In fact, I just had a little chat about your dislike for shrimps and she willingly instructed the Royal Head Chef to prepare other snacks besides shrimp snacks. I know you miss home. So I slipped in a little word about preparing some Indian snacks, preferably Bengali snacks for you :)

A smile crosses my lips. Gosh, the more I get to know him, the more he keeps showing newer, nicer sides I never knew the cold, sophisticated prince had. But, I can't help but feel bad at the prospect that separately snacks will be made to suit my taste, when I am neither someone close to the royal family, nor a noble lady.

Prince High Horse: Before your mind runs off to somewhere, no, we do not mind preparing these for you. The Queen doesn't mind, so do not worry. In fact, Mother is very excited to meet you, although I am unsure as to why she called you, but don't fret about it. I will see you in the evening after you are done with the little rendezvous with Queen Veronica and some other ladies.

P.S. Do not let their judgemental remarks get to you. Stay strong. I believe in you.

"Is he a psychic now?" I snort at my own words, reading his texts over and over again. It's as if Calix has known me for years, and not just a few months.

It is funny how once we started off as "business acquaintances" and are now close friends. Friends.

Do friends kiss the way we kissed two weeks back on the balcony, as snowfall covered the world outside and my family slept soundly inside my apartment? Do friends worry to the point that they will leave an important meeting in the middle just to be with them? Do friends get jealous when they see the other person with another close someone? Do friends find enough comfort in one another's embrace like we do?

I guess not. And I know the answer to my unending questions now. Well I think I do.

I have feelings for Prince Calix. Nothing less, but perhaps something more.

 Nothing less, but perhaps something more