Chapter 32

Isha

Just as Carlos said, I manage to catch up to Calix soon enough and find him entering the open East Garden, on the 5th floor. When the prince realizes I am following him, he picks up pace. I do not give up either and run at the speed of light (well realistically, not that fast) to catch up to the prince and learn the reason of his sudden flee.

I hold desperately onto the balcony door, through which the open garden can be reached. I grip onto the sides of the wooden door while Calix tries to shut them.

"Calix." I grit out, my knuckles turning white, "Stop behaving oddly."

Calix does not listen to me. His tie loosened, hair dishevelled due to vigorously running fingers through them, shirt crumpled; the prince refuses to look at me whilst attempting to stable his irregular breathing. My hands which were on either side of the door slowly move to place warm touches on his clenched fists. It is not something unfamiliar.

Calix is having yet another anxiety attack.

"Calix," despite my nerves eating me out terribly, I speak in a relatively calmer tone, "Look at me."

Calix does not. His eyes remain strained on the floor, as he breathes deeply.

Neither can I leave Calix here alone to go off to call for help, nor am I knowledgeable enough to treat severe anxiety breakdowns. Months back, I was able to help him calm down with my little knowledge, because the breakdown was moderate. Besides, there was lukewarm water and a couch to rest. There is simply nothing in this deserted corridor, except for the balcony that leads out to the open East Garden. Shit. I don't even know the reason of his sudden anxiety attack when he has been alright these past few weeks.

If I do not do anything, Calix's health conditions will deteriorate.

As I keep pondering while trying to get him to calm down, a thought strikes me. A ridiculous, absurd one but perhaps, a solution to this situation.

Without hesitancy, I grab Calix's collar pulling him close and press my lips against his. Tenderly. Soothingly. Conveying through my actions that I am here. [A/N: Make sure to check the below info regarding this, at the end of the chapter!]

I will always be here.

It is ironic how I keep making a fool of myself in front of Calix but then again, if somehow it makes his life brighter, I am ready to make a fool of myself a thousand times. Probably, infinite times. As I delicately press my lips against his, softly moving them, I feel the prince relaxing. In fact, he kisses back resulting in my heart to somersault thrice, especially when he swiftly pulls me against him by my waist, pressing our bodies as impossibly close as possible. My fingers caress either sides of his face while his palm rests on the small of my back.

My heart thuds in my chest feeling the salty texture of his tears. It hurts more when I cannot understand what is hurting him, in return.

And I am terrified. I am so terrified that I have to go to the extent of gaslighting myself into thinking that whatever feelings I have for Calix are nothing more than a mere, temporary crush.

I am afraid it is beyond temporary now.

We pull away from the kiss soon after, and I rest my forehead against his before speaking in a soft, unsure tone, "Why are you upset?"

Calix does not reply. He keeps holding me close, with his eyes shut.

"Do you like Carlos?"

What in the hell is he spouting. The day I have feelings for the Crown Prince whom I see as none but equal to an argumentative brother, I will surely witness penguins, tap-dancing in pajamas. "Romantically? Of course not!"