Chapter 9

Calix

There is no doubt I am imprudent. It is for the best to let Carlos be the next ruler. A dim-witted person, such as me, cannot possibly bring the glory of Syncitia. Or perhaps, this is not my fault and Isha simply is a witch. A witch who practices black magic and hides her hideousness through that glamorous façade of hers.

I have gone insane. Hah. Maybe I should break off this fake dating arrangement, and exile my own self to a remote island, somewhere far off. At least I will be able to survive with the aid of hunting, gathering edible fruits and herbs, and fishing. It would be hard initially but will be worthwhile.

Because Isha Sen's presence has pushed me to the extent of taking reckless decisions.

"Your Royal Highness, could you please calm down?"

Audrey's voice gets ignored by me as I furiously pace around in my bedchamber, memories from last night ruining my mind and sanity. Whether I am Isha's ideal type, should not bother me. In fact the topic is completely baseless.

But it did. It did bother me when I heard Miss Sen saying that I am a boring person, with apathetic gestures. I cannot blame my injudicious behaviour on alcohol either, since I do not drink liquor.

Isha Sen is a witch. Oh yes, she is. Someone who has been able to shut off each and every emotion all these years cannot possibly feel the need to prove a woman wrong, overnight. That also, a woman with whom he has absolutely no relation.

Thinking that it is my damn pride speaking for me, I slump down on my bed. All this time Audrey does not move but observe me slowly and with concern. My secretary's concern is the only thing I have never questioned.

"Your Royal Highness, you need to be prepared for your meeting with the newly hired employees at Nirvana."

"Why must I?" I heave a deep sigh, while gazing at the intricate painting of a blood red rose, on my ceiling. Audrey's presence allows me to let go of my elegantly tranquil persona, at the very least. I trust the woman more than anyone else in this messed up palace, since she does not judge me for not being perfect like Carlos. At times, I wish to swap Audrey as my sibling, instead of that good-for-nothing half-brother of mine.

Oh right. I forgot. A proper prince never bad-mouths. Not even against his enemies.

"A lot has been going on in your mind, it seems Your Royal Highness," Audrey's voice softens when she closely inspects me.

"Nothing much," I sit up straight, pushing every memory connected to the certain damn woman to the back of my head. I shake my head vigorously while murmuring under my breath, "Get a hold of yourself, Calix. You cannot ignore your work because of a woman and a silly bet."

"A bet I hear?"

Why must Audrey be gifted with such sensitive ears is still a mystery to me.

I shake my head in denial. "It's nothing to worry about."

"Perhaps not. But I do have a hunch that a bold and beautiful young lady has been occupying your mind for quite some time, Your Royal Highness," Audrey toothily grins, earning a groan from me in return.

"She is not...beautiful." She is, in every way. I smack the voice bubbling inside my mind before it can evolve into something more. My inner voice has been speaking a lot to me these past few days. Maybe I should pay a visit to my therapist.

I stand up and motion Audrey to straighten my suit. With the teasing grin not leaving her face, she begins to check my attire for any speck of dust, while straightening negligible crumples here and there.