Chapter 38

Isha

The knock on the door comes for the sixth time in the day, waking me up from my empty thoughts and the comfort I am finding in the dark room. Or, I am making myself think that I am doing good, cooped up in the guestroom of Aria and her fiancé's house for the past two days. I did not want to come here. I did not even want to let my sisters know about everything because one thing would have led to another and then, the truth of our lies revealed. I wouldn't be able to bear the expressions of betrayal on my sisters' faces, on the fact that I kept such a big part of my life hidden from them.

All I knew after returning home the other night that I did not want to be alone. My very apartment, where Calix had taken care of me while I had an injured leg, my painful period cramps and the humiliating episode I had gone through but later got comforted by the prince; that same place was haunting me. How he had gone nowhere but my place when he was drunk for the first time; the next morning and all the wholesome moments after that with my family's sudden visit; and the kiss we had shared on the balcony while the first snow of the season fell around us; nothing seemed like we were pretending. It never did. Hence, I could not find solace in that apartment tainted with unforgettable memories that will never return.

At least I do not have to attend school, due to the winter vacation going on, and answer to the curious faces. Till the time school reopens, I would have hopefully thought of a reasonable response with a nonchalant attitude, to focus on nothing but my students.

I couldn't stay with Anvi since she resided at her university dormitory. And I did not want to perturb Aria and Dakota, who were in the joyous mood of their future wedding and a baby to welcome.

The universe laughed upon me and the next morning Aria and Anvi decided to drop by, wanting to have a sisters' outing. They could read me like an open book. On top of that, my exhausted face, purple blotches under my eyes, pale lips, puffy visage was enough explanation. Aria literally dragged me with her to her house, and my future brother-in-law welcomed me warmly as well.

I was thankful but guilty nonetheless. The couple's main focus should be on their unborn baby and the wedding now; not an adult woman being all sensitive and emotional.

"Isha, please come out and have something at least. You need to put food in your stomach. Surely you cannot survive on just two chocolate bars."

I do not answer to Aria's call from outside the door. How long has it been since I have been inside this room? How long has it been since I have showered, eaten a proper meal, slept, and nestled inside the blankets? How long has it been since I have been...just me. Heck. I spent New Year's Eve last night, cocooned under the thick sheets. Today is 1st January, 2024. A new day of a new year, but a year started with bitter memories.

The light coming from my phone screen seems too bright for my eyes in the dark room. 2.30 p.m.

"Isha please, would you come outside? For your sister?"

I rub my eyes. I should get up now and focus on myself. I won't allow myself to endure the same horrible time I went through after Killian, and dwell in the past. No. I sit up straight, forcing myself to let out a groggy voice. "I'll be out. In an hour."

I can feel Aria smiling. "Good. I'll heat up the food in a moment then."

As I hear Aria's steps disappearing, another sense of guilt passes through me. I am such an inconsiderate sister who has been making her sibling worried despite knowing that the said sibling is pregnant.

"You are fine. You are good. It's alright. Don't think about him." I mumble to myself, shaking my head and slapping it once or twice before, like an unforgettable horror movie, the memories from two days ago replay in my head.