Chapter 12

Calix

By the time we finished setting up everything, some of the fear had dissolved.

Let me rephrase that.

Some of the fear had dissolved because it has now been replaced by a bigger ounce of fear. I sincerely hope that I do not pass out in the middle of the séance.

The fragrance from incense has created a calming atmosphere, which contradicts the rather spooky air due to the candles surrounding the Ouija Board. A serious expression is now on Isha's face, making her appear as a psychic or medium who can communicate with souls.

"Now what?" I find my voice asking Isha.

Isha pushes the planchette forward on the Ouija Board, and with her hands, positions my index and middle fingers on it. For a fraction of second, I forget all the fear clogging my brain and enjoy the warm, fuzzy feeling caused due to our skin contact.

Stop. For all I know, Isha can be a witch trying to lure me in her charms. I shall keep my guard up all the time.

Another shot of fuzziness jumps inside my spine when Isha, from across the table, places her index and middle finger right beside mine, on the broader portion of the planchette. During the press conference, we had entered by holding hands. These fluttering emotions did not exist then. So why now? Why is a simple, small contact, making me feel things in such an obnoxious manner?

All of this is eventually pointing to one thing. Isha is a witch, and an expertise in black magic.

Isha stays in silence for a while, staring intensely at the planchette, before saying out loud, "We are willing to welcome none but positive souls in our circle."

"Wha—" out of curiosity as to what she is doing, I open my mouth, only to get shushed with a sharp glare.

And, oh. Her palm on my lips. Not tightly but with a light, tender touch. Perhaps, even though this is unlikely to my personality, her small actions and fleeting dancing butterflies in my stomach are able to relieve me from the extreme fear. What bizarre and confusing situations I am being introduced to tonight shall be topic of experimentation.

"Calix."

"Hm?" I ask, not catching onto Isha's statement.

"Were you even listening to me?" She sighs.

I deny shamelessly.

Another sigh leaves her mouth, "If we are doing the séance, we are doing it seriously. I may not believe in such stuff but if there is a slight possibility of anything unearthly being out there, it will be utterly disrespectful to them. You wouldn't like to upset a spirit, would you?"

"No!" I blurt out, my heart being shaken up once again and the familiar feeling of fear coiling my intestines. I shall remove all unnecessary thoughts and focus on following Isha's lead, for now.

"Good, then follow my instructions, and you'll be safe."

Isha doesn't know what her you'll be safe did to me. She only helped in enhancing my fear of supernatural entities.

Isha moves her eyes to the planchette and our hands on it. She inhales and exhales before asking out loud, "Is anyone out there, willing to communicate with us?"

I flinch when the planchette, our fingers are kept on, moves to yes. Sensing my trembling figure and an attempt to remove my fingers from the cursed object, Isha murmurs under her breath, "Don't remove your fingers unless I say so. It might break the connection and create grave consequences."