Chapter 11 - I want to marry your daughter

The day has come for me to ask Amanda and David for their permission to marry Leah. I get up and tell Leah I'm gonna run to the shops quickly and pick up some bits for training. She nods, gives me a kiss and tells me to drive safe. I leave after telling her I love her and head to her parents house. I cant lie I'm nervous ringing that doorbell. If they say no what am I gonna do. Amanda opens the door cutting me out of my thoughts and brings me into a hug. 'Hi Amanda.' I say hugging her back. 'Hi darling come on in. do you want a cup of tea or anything?' she asks. 'No thank you I'm okay. I cant stay for long I told leah I was going to the shops . Don't want her getting suspicious.' Amanda chuckles 'yeah that girls like a goddamn detective. So what is it you wanted to ask us?' By this point I'm sweating I'm sat in Leah's parents living room and terrified of the question I'm about to ask. 'Right yeah. Okay.' I cough to try and get rid of the nerves 'so obviously mine and Leah's one year anniversary is coming up and we've only been together for a year but ive loved her for so much longer. So I wanted to ask for your permission to ask leah to marry me.' I look up at Amanda and shes got tears in her eyes. David is the first to speak. 'Jayde you have been a part of our family for years and we've always known you loved her we can see it in the way you look at her and the way she looks at you. Through everything we always knew you and leah would end up together so yes of course you have our permission.' I started to cry this was it. I was going to ask leah to be my wife. Amanda got up and hugged me 'jayde you will always be part of our family with leah or not but I'm so happy that your going to officially be a part of our family thank you for loving leah the way you always have.' 'It has and will always be the greates honour of my life. Thank you.' With that settled I headed to the shops and quickly grabbed some lucozades and chewing gum and also some flowers for leah, so leah wouldn't be suspicious and headed back home

As I walked in the front door and put my stuff down I was greeted with leah jumping into my arms and latching on like a koala. 'Well hello to you too baby.' She kisses me in a way that's greedy like she cant get enough of me. I pull back to catch my breath. 'I was gone half an hour how could you have missed me this much.' Leah looks at me and say 'I just love you' I put her down and say 'I love you too baby lets go sit down I have something to ask you.' We both walk into the living room and sit down on the sofa together. 'So what did you want to ask me?' She says nuzzling her head into the crook of my neck. 'Well baby I know we basically live together already but how would you feel about living together. But finding a new place that's both of ours that we can decorate how we want. A new house for a new us now that I'm playing for arsenal.' She sat up and grabbed my hand and said 'JJ my love my life, I would loving more than to live with you permanently.' I pulled her into a kiss and then pulled her into a hug. We both lay on the sofa and watched a film together. I needed to text beth and arrange to meet up this weekend so I shifted away from Leah and sent beth the text she replied straight away agreeing to meet on Saturday, we were still in preseason so no weekend games luckily for us. Leah noticed me texting and asked 'who are you texting.' I didn't want to let on that I was talking to beth or shed ask questions so just said 'oh its just my mum shes thinking about doing a roast this weekend but I might just invite them round here if that's okay with you?' It wasn't a complete lie I had actually already invited them round to talk about me and Leah. 'Yeah baby of course that's okay. Hey why don't we start looking at houses.' I leant down and gave her a little kiss 'yes I would love that.'

So for the rest of the day we stayed cuddled up on the sofa looking at houses in the area and found a few that we liked we wanted a house big enough to have guests over and that's when Leah asked if I wanted to have kids. I was dreading this question as I wasn't sure if I wanted to or not. It was hard being in a relationship with a woman and being a footballer if you want kids and I'm not sure that either of us would want to take a break from football to have a baby. 'I'm not sure tbh Le I havent thought about it much but it just doesn't seem plausible with our careers.' She moved away from me and sat up just simply saying 'oh'. That single word was enough to crush my soul but I couldn't lie to her I had to tell the truth. 'I'm sorry baby I'm not saying no its just not something I'm 100% sure about. I don't want to hurt you I just need to tell you how I feel.' She looked up at me and sniffled. 'I love you and appreciate your honesty but I need a little time to think. I'm gonna go to my mums for a bit but ill be back later and we can talk then?' This hurt me, I never once thought that this could potentially be a dealbreaker but then again I never really thought about it. 'Baby I love you so much please drive safe ill be waiting here for you when you get back.' She just nodded and left. Have I just managed to ruin everything right when it was at its best. I needed to speak to beth.