Chapter 1:The Grimes

Family there is more than one definition for the word family. The family that you were born into. Your own flesh and blood. The family whose side you  stay beside. The family whose blood is thicker than water. Then their is the family that you chose. The family that you will kill for and die for. The family that got your back and the family that will keep you safe.

In a world of darkness, chaos and pain it's hard to find your chosen family. What happens when the world becomes a much darker place and trust becomes more difficult by each passing day. What happens when it's a struggle to pick out your foes and allies. What happens when the world is succumb to the living dead.

"You know its getting old" a brunette girl stated as she opened the door to a blue 1969 Chevrolet Camaro Convertible. She told her brother at lunch she wanted to walk home, but her brother who goes everywhere with the stupid car insisted"It doesn't change the fact that your my responsibility" Kiara Grimes sighs as she rolls her green orbs that were similar to her mother's whilst her brother Enzo Grimes had brown orbs that resembled the earth that he got from their grandfather.

"Yes your the oldest by a year and yes I love you, but I am fine" Kiara convinced as Enzo shrugged."Yeah everytime you lie you scrunch your nose." Kiara eyes widen in surprise but quickly hides it with a facade. "Oh wait Enzo I found something" Kiara stated very concerned and started searching through her back only to bring out nothing. "I found your nose in my business again" Enzo glares at his younger sister having the urge to flip her off.

"You definitely got your attitude from mom." Kiara smiles. "Yes, yes I did" Kiara admitted shamefully as Enzo started the car. "How was your day? Started any trouble?" Kiara came to look at her brother that had a smug expression. "Do you know me?" Enzo smiles. "Yeah I forgot you were a bore" Kiara gasps insulted. "I am not." Kiara defended as the two siblings drove through the small town they lived in at the country side. "Says the girl that spends her Fridays at home reading books and watching comedies that are not even funny." Kiara gasps once again. "Alright Mr.Smartass let's get one thing clear you can insult me all you want but to not insult the greatest show off all time. F. R. I. E. N. D. S" Enzo rolls his eyes. "Your one for dramatics aren't you Kie" Kiara huffs as she crosses her arms. "And your a jerk that don't knows the difference between four and for" Enzo taps his steerweel as he smiles smugly. "I am so happy I have such a nice sister as yourself he remarked sarcastically as Kiara stuck her tongue out childishly at her brother as he smiles amused.

 "I am so happy I have such a nice sister as yourself he remarked sarcastically as Kiara stuck her tongue out childishly at her brother as he smiles amused

" Oh before going to school today mom told me dad was stable and that they aren't sure when he would wake up" Enzo added as Kiara froze. After Kiara father was shot whilst being on duty she felt like there was something missing in their life's. Her father was her everything.He was someone she looked up to.

"That's good news. That his OK, but not so good is that they don't know. I really miss dad" Kiara stated looking out the car at the sights of each neighbourhood house they passed. "Dad will be back before we know it" Kiara sighs. "Yeah dad is as tough as nails" Enzo nods smiling. "I have to tell you if he hasn't lost his temper once at mom attitude, accusing accusations and sarcasm nothing can make him lose his temper" Kiara smiles knowing her father was the best example of what a husband should be

 "I have to tell you if he hasn't lost his temper once at mom attitude, accusing accusations and sarcasm nothing can make him lose his temper" Kiara smiles knowing her father was the best example of what a husband should be

. "Yeah dad love us. His family is his everything he will wake up" Enzo pulls up to their house driveway as Kiara steps out and walks inside her home.

"We are home!" Enzo yelled after Kiara as he entered after Kiara and closing the door. Out of the living room steps Carl as his eyes light up at the sight of his sister and waves

 "Kiara" Kiara smiles as her gaze softens as she opens her arms for her little brother as she embraced him once he ran into her arms

. "Kiara" Kiara smiles as her gaze softens as she opens her arms for her little brother as she embraced him once he ran into her arms. "Hi little man. Doing homework?" he nods as Enzo dramatically touches his heart as though he was wounded. "Ouch right in the heart" Carl smiles amused as he went to hug his brother. "Yeah that's what I though you little trouble maker" Carl laughed as Enzo ruffles his hair. "You two are back?" Kiara smiles as her mother walks into the small gathering.

"Yeah just a few seconds ago" Lori smiles and comes to hug her daughter. "I glad you are safe. Carl go do your homework now" Carl groans but does as his mother says. "Why don't you go do some homework and I call you when dinner is ready" Kiara nods as she makes her way upstairs whilst Enzo and Lori stare at each other. "She really isn't doing well mom. She misses dad. She tries to hide it but I can see right through her" Lori sighs as she brushes her finger through her dark logs. "I know but she will be OK." Enzo grows frustrated with his mother but nods and hides his frustration with a smile. "If you need me I will be in the garage I need to work on my car" Lori nods "But you still need to do your homework young man" Lori stated sternly as Enzo smiles. "Of course I wouldn't want my grades to drop" Enzo stated and before he could utter another word did Kiara voice come from upstairs . "He failed gym class today!" Lori comes to look at her son pointedly as Enzo eyes were blown wide in fear at his mother gaze staring holes in his soul. "I can explain mom" Lori huffs and steps closer to Enzo. "Lorenzo" Enzo takes a few steps back "Mom let me explain" he runs into the garages as his mother starts chasing him but he locks the door. "Don't think this is over" Lori yelled as she heard her son groan a quick 'I know' as she goes to the kitchen to start the cooking.