Chapter 25:Blame

In the aftermath of the chaotic events on the highway infested with walkers, Rick Grimes, his eldest son Enzo, and their trusted ally Daryl set out on a desperate mission to find Sophia Peletier. The young girl had disappeared during the chaotic escape of the horde walkers that evaded the abondend highway.

A sense of urgency hung in the air as the trio combed through the dense woods surrounding the highway. Their footsteps echoed through the silence as they maneuvered around overgrown branches and twisted vegetation. The anxiety within Rick's chest grew with each passing moment.

Enzo's face contorted with worry as he questioned his father, "Do you really think we can find her out here, Dad?"

Rick glanced at his son, his face etched with determination. "We have to, Enzo. We can't leave her out here alone."

Daryl, ever the silent protector, scanned their surroundings, his crossbow ready. His keen eyes missed nothing, finding some solace in the fact that they were doing everything they could. The trio moved deeper into the woods, occasionally calling out Sophia's name, desperate to receive even the faintest response.

After hours of relentless searching, reality began to settle upon them like a heavy fog. The hope that clung stubbornly to their hearts began to waver. Rick battled inner turmoil as guilt gnawed at his conscience, aware that Carol, Sophia's mother, would undoubtedly place the blame on him.

Finally, they regrouped in a small clearing, their faces etched with fatigue and disappointment. The weight of the situation pressed heavily on their shoulders.

The the three men heard the rustling of leave where they spotted a walker walking endlessly in the woods. The three men cautiously formed a plan to take out the said walker to find out if the walker got to Sophia before they could find the helpless little girl.

Enzo who was decided to be used as bait quickly made his way towards the walker as he jumped In front of the walker nervousness bubbling in him.

"Hi ugly son of bitch. You want some dinner" Enzo taunted as he flipped the Walmer off as the walker snarled at him baring it's rotten teeth and showcasing flesh stuck in its teeth. Yet before it could attack Enzo did a arrow pierce through his scull as it fell limp to the ground revealing Daryl.

"Good job kid" Daryl complimented as Rick walked up to the do as he pulled on some gloves he brought with him and pulled out a knife. "Yeah but just make sure not to tell your mother about this" Enzo nods as Daryl and he watches Rick examining the now dead walker.

"What are you looking for?" Daryl questioned curiously as Rick checked the walkers hands. "Skin under the fingernails" Rick then turns the walker around as he gives a quick look to Daryl and Enzo. "It fed recently. There is flesh caught in its teeth" Rick admitted as he opened the walkers mouth revealing the flesh making the men's heart sink into their stomach

"What kind of flesh?" Daryl question as Rick sighed. "There is only one way to know" Rick rips open the shirt as Daryl takes the knife and cuts open the walker maki g Enzo sick to his stomach. "I am going to hurl" Enzo exclaimed naseuous as he watch blood as black as darkness spill over the corpse as the flesh that was rotten peeled out of its cavity. Daryl them digs out something revealing a blavk back. "What the hell is that?!" Enzo questioned horrified as Rick and Daryl shared a look. "It's stomach dipshit" Daryl admitted as Enzo eyes rolled back and fell to the ground with a thud seemingly not able to take the cruesome sight any longer

Daryl looks at the passed out Enzo as Rick sighs. "Should we be worried?" Daryl questioned as Rick shook his head. "No he will be fine" focusing back on the subject they tear open the stomach of the walker and figure out what he had for his last meal. The men groaned disgusted by the smell only to reveal body part of a woodchuck.

"This ugly ass bastard had a woodchuck for lunch" Daryl answered as Rick nodded. "Atleast we know" Rick stayed positive a sense of relieve that it wasn't Sophia who ended up being the dead corpse's last meal. "Yeah atleast we know" Daryl stand up as he looks at the past out Enzo. "Who going to wake him?" Rick sigh as he gives his son a light kick in his side making Enzo jolt up. "Tell me its over?" Rick helps his son up as his son catches the sight of the walker as he huffs. "Yeah I am going to..." before he could finish his sentence he bend over and hurled everything that he ate the last 24 hours making Daryl grunt annoyed. "You better nod get it over me as swipe" Enzo regained himself as he wiped his mouth. "How go to hell" Rick glared at his son for his use of words. "So was it Sophia?" Enzo question almost too scared too know the answer. "No the bastard had a woodchuck for dinner poor thing shredded to pieces " Enzo felt himself becoming nauseous once again. "Oh come on too much detail." Rick sighs as he notices the sun starting to set. "Let keep looking until the sun sets.

After returning to the highway where the sun started to set, the trio felt their stomach sink at the dissapointment and sadness plastered on Carol Peletiers face when she saw no sign of her little girl.

Carol emerged from the shadows, her eyes filled with despair. She wasted no time in directing her anger squarely at Rick. "This is your fault, Rick. You let this happen!"

Rick's face hardened, though his voice remained calm. "Carol, I understand your pain and frustration, but we're out here risking our lives trying to find her. Blaming each other won't help."

Carol's voice broke as she choked back tears, a mix of anger and grief etching her features. "You should have watched her! You should have protected her!"

Rick's heart ached with guilt as he sought to repair the fragile bond between them. "I'm sorry, Carol. I promise you, we'll keep looking until we find her. We won't leave her behind."

Carol's accusatory gaze softened, her anguish transforming into vulnerability. Realizing the futility of pointing fingers, she nodded hesitantly, her voice choked with emotion. "Just bring my little girl back, Rick. Please."

Unyielding in their determination, Rick, Enzo, Daryl, and Carol pressed forward, united by their shared goal. They clung to whatever hope they had left, refusing to abandon Sophia to the terrible fate the world had imposed upon them.Kiara who noticed the broken state of Ilene who deapretaly tried to hide it came to stand next to her best friend a comforted her that everything would be alright.

Through treacherous terrain and worsening odds, the group would continue their search, knowing that their bond as survivors was strong enough to weather even the darkest of storms or so the hoped.