Chapter 2:Peletiers

Fate is something trivial. Something that was supposed to happen. Supposed to to take you to a better path of life. Yet to Ilene Peletier she saw fate as something cruel. She watched in anger as her father downed another bottle of beer whilst she helped her little sister with her homework whilst her mother cooked dinner and her brother Hunter help their mother.

Ilene loved her family. She would kill for them. She would sacrifice the world for them. That's why she doesn't have any friends. No friend she has ever had stayed long enough not long enough before stabbing her in the back. Ilene believed she was meant to never find the special soul bond of finding her true friend. The type of friend in movies that never leaves your side. Stays by your side when your at your best and worst. Love. She didn't believe in love not after witnessing the love between her mother and father. Her mother told her her father loved her. Yet Ilene couldn't help but laugh at the irony. Her father was the best example of what a husband shouldn't be. Ilene told herself she would never love someone and never never succumb to love. She won't end up like her mother.

"No 6 times 7 is not 67 Sophia. Times mean multiply remember  not to plus" The small 9 year old girls eyes lit up with realization. "Oh I understand now" Ilene smiled proudly as she watched her little sister do the math problem correctly this time. "Dinner is almost ready. Would you mind set the table baby?" a small petite women said eyes resembling those of Ilene.

She was quite the opposite of her father. Ilene resembled her mother. She got her eyes and blonde logs, but what she did get was her father temper something she loathes about herself. She takes the plates from her mother grasp with a small smile. "Of ours mom" Ilene goes to set the table as she throws occasional glares towards her father that sat like a lowlife drunk in his chair rotting like a corpse.

"Ed dinner is ready" Ilene heard her mother petite voice as she heard her father groan. "Shut up would you women. My head hurts" Ilene jaw tightens as she clenches her fists. Yet before she could say something that will leave her with a bruise or two. Her elder brother Hunter placed his hand on her shoulder. "Keep your tongue in check. The sooner he eats the sooner he can pass out and rot in his room"Ilene takes deep breath and nods. Everyone gathered at the table. Hunter and Ilene sitting next to each other and across from them their Youngest sister and their mother whilst the father sat at the head of the table.

"I hope the food tastes good" Ilene eyes immediately flickers to her mother's gaze as she smiles.

"I have no doubt mom's food will be good. Mom should of became a master chef or something like that" Ilene praised as Hunter smiled as his mother smiled, a real smile. "Thank you baby,but I love staying at home with you" Hunter squeezes his mother hand from across the table as Ilene smiled amused at her little sister that nearly swallowed her food whole..

"Exactly where you women belong at home and cooking." Ilene hands clench her fork as her knuckles  turned white. She never had the urge to stab someone like she did now"I am planning on becoming a dancer. I am not planning on being a housewife" Ilene' s father gaze hardened as he came to look at his eldest daughter. "I didn't ask your opinion" Ilene scoffed. "Mom nor we asked your opinion about where a women belong as well" Ed slams his hand on the table as Sophia yelped in surprise and Carol shrunk back in fear for her own safety and her children's. "Ed Ilene doesn't mean it. Right baby?" Carol questions her daughter as Ilene bites on her tongue whilst her hearts melt at her mother pleading gaze. "Yes sorry" Ed calms down as Ilene shoves down her food.

Just then did the family hear a gunshot. "What was that?" Sophia asked frightened as Hunter stood up as he walked to the window whilst Ilene caught something on the TV playing in the background. "What the hell?" Ilene asked horrified jumping up from her place as she watched the scene on the TV.

"Breaking news. The virus that has been known to public for nearly two weeks has spread to most part of North America. This is not a drill. Evacuate your homes and go to Atla ta. Help and support will be given." Just then a horrified scream was heard as Sophia cried out as she clang onto Carol. Ilene moves to the window where her brother stood frozen in place. When she looked outside she saw her elderly neighbour busy tearing into someone cargass like a predator whilst a few cars were crashed and people evacuating their homes.

"We need to leave. We need to go to Atla ta right now" Hunter stated as Carol nods as she starts backing food that their father had stored and Ilene starts packing her mother's, sister and her owns things. Hunter packs his things and brings out the car.

"I am scared" Sophia stated as Ilene covered her sister eyes to hide the cruesome corpse as she got her inside whilst her father got in the passenger seat since he was far too drunk too drive. Hunter drove and Carol sat in the back with her daughter. Ilene watches as people evacuate their homes in hurry whilst those who weren't lucky screams in terror whilst being attack by the infected. Ilene Peletier wondered if this was fate? Was fate on her side this time or once again against her?