Chapter 57

"What the hell Lauren?" She didn't answer my question right away. She kept her eyes locked with Riley. I looked back to see Riley maintaining eye contact but her face was calm, collected, whereas Lauren looked like she wanted to scratch her eyes out.

"Can I talk to you alone Tess?" I was confused, Lauren and I don't talk. The bell rang signifying that we only had another minute to get to class.

"I'll see you after class." Riley said once she'd broken eye contact. She gave me a kiss on the cheek and walked out of the bathroom. I watched as Laurens body language relaxed. She then looked around the bathroom and under the stalls to make sure we were the only ones in here.

"What the fuck Tess."

"Hey watch your mouth." I know she curses but that doesn't mean it doesn't sound weird to me when she does. Her eyes rolled involuntarily.

"Why are you with her again? And why are you being so public about it." I walked to the sink to wash my hands only so I'd have something to do.

"This isn't any of your business Lauren."

"Tess, she hurt you, bad. Why are you jumping back into bed with her?"

"Why do you care all of a sudden?" She didn't say anything so I continued.

"If I'm remembering right you're the one who blackmailed me when you found out about us."

"That doesn't mean I don't care about you." I felt my body sink into itself.

"I love her. Okay? I love her. And she loves me. I know from the outside it looks like she's the one to blame, and maybe for some things she is, but that doesn't mean that I didn't hurt her just as much as she hurt me."

"I don't want her to hurt you again." This new side of Lauren was shocking and made me somewhat uncomfortable. Where was my bratty little sister who always got her way and didn't care about anyone but herself?

"I'm going to be okay Lauren. I promise. I don't know what's going to happen but everything is going to be okay." The words felt forced, fake, like if I said them enough they'd be true or I'd believe them myself. Lauren nodded her head.

"Can we hang out later?" she asked. The last bell rang. Something isn't right with her. I don't know what's going on but I know that something definitely happened.

"Yeah. Of course. I'll meet you at home after school." To my complete and utter shock, she gave me a hug and then walked out the bathroom. I composed myself then started for my class. I saw Riley standing outside the door of my classroom.

"I thought you were going to class?"

"I wanted to make sure you were okay after whatever that was."

"I'm fine, but I think something's going on with her."

"Why do you say that?"

"Because she hugged me and asked if I wanted to hangout." Riley's face became concerned but somewhat skeptical.

"I know." I said.

"Well if you need help with anything you let me know." I kissed her lips and then pulled back.

"I will. Now get to class."

                                                             ----------------------------------------

In every single one of my classes people have been asking about Riley and I. I know news travels fast but this is ridiculous. The questions weren't easy questions either. People from the pep squad who knew us thought they had the right to ask more pointed questions. First it was if we were really together. Then it went to how it happened. Then they asked if Riley was gay. When I'd deflect that question they'd ask me about Austin and if I was using him as a cover. By this point Gray had usually had enough and would tell them to fuck off.

We had somehow made it through the entire day without hearing a word from Charlotte. At least Gray and I had. I don't know if she'd told Riley anything. I know she's had to have heard by now. At the end of the day when I was walking Gray to the gym Riley found us and started walking with us. She seemed quieter. We dropped Gray off at the gym and made our way to her car. She has practice too, so I was only going to drive with her to the dome then come back and watch Gray's practice, his is inside. They made it to the state championship game by the way. It had gotten postponed though because the gym they were supposed to play at had some kind of accident to where the gym wasn't usable.

"Are you okay?" I asked once we were in her car.

"Yeah, I'm good."

"No, you're not. What's wrong?"

"I got overwhelmed with the amount of questions people had. They all were asking me things that I couldn't answer. I know we all run in the same circle but that doesn't mean that I need to tell them know all my secrets."

"I get that. Same thing was happening to me today." We fell quiet.

"Have you heard from Charlotte?" She didn't look up, and she hesitated for a second.

"No." I let her lie and pretended to believe it. She'll tell me in her own time. In a split second she changed her whole demeanor and smiled at me then kissed me.

"Are you sure you want to walk back? You don't have to drive with me, it's not like I'm going very far."

"I want a few more minutes with you." I smiled. We drove to the dome, she kissed my lips, then got off the car and started for the dome. I watched as she walked away. Before she was too far she stopped and gave me our secret signal. I smiled to myself and started back to the gym. Walking to the gym wasn't bad but the cold wind made it difficult to focus on anything other than the frozen tip of my nose. I was coming up to the stairs about to finally walk into the warm school when I heard

"So, you do know Riley." My heart froze when I heard his voice. I slowly turned around to face him.