chapter 20

Rylies POV-

"Here put these glasses on." I said handing them to Gracie.

She raised her eyebrows and looked at me.

"what?" I said.

"Babe you really think that no one will know it's us just because we have sun glasses on and let me just mention that it is literally 8pm meaning literally no sun." she said.

I sighed and nodded taking the glasses off.

"okay fine whatever lets go hopefully the store won't be too full I just want some candy." I said smiling at her reaching out for her hand.

"you're a child." she said grabbing my hand with a smile.

I playfully rolled my eyes and then we both walked downstairs together and walked out to my car. I opened her door for her as always and then began to drive.

I parked in front of this little store.

"Are you sure no sun glasses?" I said looking at her

She gave me a look so I nodded.

"come on you big loser." she said unbuckling her seatbelt.

"wait." I said turning her around and kissing her.

"sorry just needed that." I said smiling at her.

I got out and opened her door for her and then we both walked in, thankfully it was pretty much empty with 2 other people in it.

We walked around picking out snacks we both wanted and then went up to pay. We were behind a kid that looked about 15 and he was arguing with the cashier.

"Come on! its literally just 2 cents off please just take what I have." He said.

"Look if you don't have the full amount of money then get out of here." the cashier said dryly.

The kid sighed and was about to walk away.

"Wait hold on I got it. I'll pay for him." I said stepping up closer to the cash register.

The kid turned around with a surprised look.

"you will? thank you so much." he said smiling.

"Of course and grab a snack or anything else that you need I'll pay for it." I said smiling at him.

"Are you sure? I know who you are and I know you work hard for your money, my dad always taught me that I needed to work hard for what I wanted and to not ask people for things so are you sure?" He said looking down.

"yeah go ahead I promise you it's okay and I want to." I said smiling at him and nodding. 

He then turned around and began to grab a couple things like snacks and drinks and then he put them on the counter and I paid for everything. 

"Thank you so much. You have no idea how much this means to me." He said smiling.

"Of course. Be careful." I said smiling back at him.

He nodded and walked out of the store.

"The nerve of some kids huh?" The cashier said laughing.

I looked at him with a serious face.

"You're a dick, you know that?" I said handing him the cash and picking up our things and walking out.

"I love you and what you did." Gracie said as she got into the car.

I bent down and kissed her and then backed away and kissed her cheek.

"I love you more." I said smiling at her.

As we were driving back home it was really dark and noticed the same kid walking on the side of the road.

"wait baby is that the same kid?" gracie asked as we passed him.

"Um yeah I think so. I'm gonna pull over is that okay with you." I said.

"yeah babe just be careful. i'll stay in the car just incase." She said.

I nodded and got out of the car and began walking towards the kid.

The kid stopped as I approached him and began to slowly back away.

"I don't have anything for you! Leave me alone!" He yelled.

"hey its just me. Rylie. I was the one that paid for you in the store back there." I said stopping because I didn't want to scare him.

"Oh okay i'm sorry for yelling." He said slowly walking towards me.

I sat down on the curb and looked up at him.

"come here sit with me." I said pointing at the curb.

He nodded and sat down.

"Do you live far from here?" I asked.

"well no I don't really live anywhere. I just stay in a homeless shelter from time to time depending on if they have any open beds." he said in a sad tone.

This kid looked so young and he was homeless? That really just breaks my heart.

"oh, where do you stay if they have no beds?" I asked.

"Park benches or bus stops are usually my go to." he said.

"how old are you?" I asked.

"I just turned 15 and if you're wondering why i'm homeless it's because my dad passed away a month ago and my mom was never really in the picture so." He said.

I nodded at him as he spoke. I just felt sad.

"Well i'm Rylie, whats your name?" I asked.

"I know your name is Rylie, mines Stevie Miller. I love your music by the way it helps whenever I hear it. I usually hear it playing downtown a lot." he says smiling.

I smile at him and then look up knowing I had to do something.

"Stevie do you want to come with me and gracie? I have an extra bedroom in my house and maybe tomorrow we can try to find you somewhere to stay like a relative or something?" I asked.

"Are you sure? It wouldn't be fair for me to do that." he said looking down.

I got up and picked up his bag for him.

"come on." I said smiling at him.

He got up and we both walked to my car and got in. Gracie looked at me but then her eyes softened once she realized and she smiled at me.

"Stevie this is gracie my girlfriend." I said looking back at him.

He smiled at us.

"Hi stevie nice to meet you." Gracie said smiling at him.

"Hi gracie. I already asked her but now i'm gonna ask you, are you sure it's okay for me to stay with you tonight?" He said.

"If it's okay with Rylie then of course i'm okay with it." She said smiling at him.

He nodded and then put his seatbelt on and I began to drive.

Gracie looked at me and smiled and then she put her hand on top of mine and squeezed it gently.