chapter 22

1 week later

Rylies POV-

Stevie has been staying with us and we've been growing closer to him and getting to know him better. We can tell that he is still hesitant but we understand since he was out there all alone before meeting us.

"Baby i'll be back around 6 or 7 since i'll be in the studio." Gracie said coming behind me and kissing my cheek.

"okay my love, let me know when you're on your way home then and i'll start cooking." she said looking up at me.

"Okay i love you, bye stevie!" She yelled as he was in his room.

I got up and walked her out to her car opening her door for her and then leaned down and kissed her deeply.

"i'm gonna miss those lips." I whispered smiling.

"i'll be back in a few hours you loser." she said laughing.

I smiled and then kissed her again.

"be safe okay? i love you." I said kissing her cheek.

"i will i promise, i love you more." she said smiling.

I walked back into the house once I watched her drive away safely and saw Stevie in the kitchen making a sandwich. He had no shirt on and I noticed marks on his back.

"I know you're looking." he said.

"No i'm sorry stevie I just came in and saw you making food." I said going into the kitchen.

He turned around taking a bite out of his sandwich.

"Yes but I know you saw the scars on my back." he said.

I stood there quietly because I didn't want to say the wrong thing.

"I loved my dad but sometimes when he drank he wasn't nice towards me. Thats how he died because of drinking so much." he said sitting on a stool at the kitchen island.

I sat down next to him.

"i'm sorry stevie you didn't deserve that." I said looking at him.

"it's okay. I'm better now thanks to you and gracie but I know I can't stay here forever and that's also okay i'm just grateful I'm here now." he said taking another bite out of his sandwich.

But what if he did stay here? with me and gracie?

"Do you have any family around here?" I asked him.

"No, my mom left my dad with me when I was really young and when my dad passed away I was put into the system which was horrible and they found an aunt of mine from my mom's side but she didn't want anything to do with me." he said.

I nodded at him and looked down and began fidgeting with my fingers.

"I do that too when i'm nervous or something." he said.

I looked up at him and let a little laugh out.

"yeah it just helps a little right? but Gracie helps me with it and hugs me when she realizes that i'm doing it. She really helps me a lot" i said smiling at him.

"Last time I was doing it she asked to hug me and I said no. Do you think that upset her?" he asked.

I smiled that Gracie tried helping him the same way she helps me. I really am so lucky to have her.

"No stevie, I think she understands that you just didn't want to be hugged or touched at the moment which is completely okay. Sometimes when i'm really nervous or going through something she'll ask me too and if I say no she understands and sits by me until i'm ready to hug her." I said.

"that's really sweet of her. So are you guys gonna get married?" he asked.

"Well one day for sure if she says yes when I ask her. Actually Stevie I want to show you something but you have to promise to never ever tell her okay?" I said.

He nodded and I walked upstairs with him and went into mine and Gracies closet and I reached up and felt a box.

I walked back into the room and sat down on our bed and opened the box to reveal a ring.

"Woah thats a really pretty ring. Are you gonna ask her to marry you?" he asked looking up at me smiling.

"I was thinking about doing it soon but everytime I try, I get scared that she'll say no and I back out of it." I said sighing.

Stevie reached up and hugged me. I was taken back because i've learned that physical touch is something that he didn't really like.

"I think she'll say yes. You guys love each other and I see it everyday. She would be dumb to say no." he said quietly still hugging me.

I hugged him back and then we backed away.

"yeah I guess so huh?" I said smiling at him.

"and I promise not to tell her." he says.

"thanks stevie." I said getting up and putting the ring back where it was.

"hey, wanna go shopping? Gracie won't be back for a bit so we can spend as much money as we want and not get yelled at." I said smiling.

"you said that a few days ago and she found out we bought more nerf guns and bullets to play with justin and ryan." he said raising his eyebrow.

"yeah you're right maybe lets not spend too much." I said laughing.