A Hermits Christmas Carol

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
To those who celebrate I wish you all a wonderful Christmas, Boxing Day and New Year!
Also I don't own the rights of a Christmas Carol by Mr Charles Dickens I'm just writing a Hermit Version!

This was coming out on Christmas Eve but I had second thoughts.

Now shall we begin our tale Tango?

"About time, yes!
This is the story of a hermit who hated Christmas. Hated everything and everyone in fact. And at this time of year he was most cruel and rather an unpleasant to be in the company of. If we don't leave now we'll be late and I don't want either of us late now do we? While we make our way down to the shopping district I'll keep you posted." The man said shaking your hand firmly. "I'm Tango by the way, you must be y/n. Great to meet ya."

"So, before we meet this Hermit I need to tell you one other thing. Today, seven years ago his business partner Impulse Marley passed away. Seven years ago TODAY in fact! He never bothered to change the sign 'Scrooge and Marley' but there was no need. For everyone knew who Mr Scrooge was, no doubt about it, for his name was known to all. Though a pleasant name it was not."

"Marley had been dead for seven years. Dead as a door nail."

"Now you just wait right here outside the window of his office. I'm just going to fetch my hat."

-

"Oh hello! I don't believe we've met!" Some was stood behind you, smiling gleefully at you. "I'm Gem! Mr. Scrooge's niece. I thought I'd ask if he wanted to come round for a Christmas dinner I'm hosting tomorrow evening. He normally turns these offers down but there is no harm in trying!" Her smile sacked slightly, but it disappeared as soon as it came. "Who might I address you by?"
"Y/n"
"Y/n! What a lovely name. Now if you'll excuse me I have an invitation to give. Wish me luck! Oh and Merry Christmas!"
With that she climbed the stairs into the office of her Uncle. The windows where hard to see through but you only just managed to see the figure of Gem and someone sitting in a chair, who's back was facing you. The conversation was muffled and during it you noticed a shy figure appear from behind desk that was shooed away by Scrooge.
"Y/n, I'd hoped you'd still be here! Oh I see." The hermit turned to watch what you saw in the window. He smiled to himself, "That's Gem. She is as close as Scrooge while get to a child. His niece is the total opposite of him. Just like her father they are the happiest spirits in the whole server, truly!"

The door slammed shut behind Gem when she was almost pushed out from the building. Some snow from the roof falling to her feet. "Y/n, and Tango! No luck today. But the offer still stands if he wishes to take up the offer. Merry Christmas and good afternoon!" And she was gone, skipping along down the snow covered streets to her next destination.

"Poor girl. Right now shall we?" He smiled grimly.
"Shall we what?" You asked, your eyes narrowed ever so just.
"Why go visit Mr Scrooge of course, we have a job to do." He opened the door to let you first and take in the atmosphere of the room. The office was mildly spacious with a few books covered in dust on the shelfs. A small fire place with a dim fire in the centre, in another section of the building was an even smaller fire, only one lump of coal to help keep warmth to the Hermit who sat beside it, his head buried in piles of paperwork. Though you turned now to face the man infront. He didn't even look up to you and Tango, his guests, he said no welcome nor Christmas wishes. No smile grew on his pointed face. "Why good afternoon, Mr Scrooge, say what a lovely Christmas Eve today is." The blonde took a step towards Scrooge.
"Bah Humbug." The man grumbled.

Mr Scrooge was a tallish looking man, dressed in a long burgundy suit with a top hat in the same colour sat behind him on a hook. A cane rested on the table of his work bench that on top was many scattered coins you found yourself staring at. "What do you both want." His face still did not face you. "We're here to collect a donation for the poor this fine day, as many families are struggling at this time of year. Say what can we put you down for Sir?" Tango took a small notebook from his side pocket, a pen now in hand.
"Nothing?" He mumbled.
"You wish to be anonymous?" You questioned, not sure where this was going.
"I wish to be left alone!" His sharp face now looked directly to you. Now with a full view on his face you saw how his features had become twisted with his heart. His cold heart. "You're crazy!" You couldn't stop yourself from saying, "You have plenty of money and these people don't even have a shilling to spare, some let alone a house!" Your voice raised, you ignored the plead in Tango's eyes to tell you to stop.
"Are there no prisons?"
"Excuse me?" Tango's voice, barely a whisper.
Scrooge now stood from his seat, "Are there no Workhouses?" A cruel smirk briefly marked his face.
"Well yes." Your friend nodded.
"Oh good, I thought they'd all gone."
"Many would rather die than go there!" You yelled.
"Then they bet get on with it! To decrease the surplus population!" His fisted slammed onto the table, causing you to stammer back.
"Fine. Well good day Mr Scrooge. Grian, lovely to see you." Tango tried to smile.
"And you, Tango. You too." He gestured towards you.
"Grian show them out!" Scrooge called, he'd already gone back to work, as if the conversation had never happened. "Here take this please." Grian placed a shiny gold coin in your gloved hands. You noticed his gloves were worn, torn with holes  on the finger tips. "No Mr. Cratchit please, I- we can't take that. You're poorer than most." The blonde took the coin from your hand and tried to hand it back.
He shook is head, "No I insist. Merry Christmas both of you."
Before the both of you could argue, someone yelled from the other room in frustration. Seeing that as your final warning you left with haste, waving goodbye to Grian as you walked away from the building. "That was Mr Scar Scrooge for you."
"He's..." Words failed you, "Horrible." No words could describe the cruelty of that man, that miser. "Indeed."

As you walked away, your attention turned towards a man. His smile was one you'd never forget, his eyes wide and his voice chirpy. "Why hello there Tango and a new face, how beautiful. May I ask your name?" He shook your hand with pure joy.
"I'm Y/n, and you are?"
"This is Keralis, an old friend of mine. He sings carols to people most December days. Don't tell me you're heading to Scrooge's place?"
"Yes I am, whether today I'm attacked with a wreath I don't mind. If it in anyway annoys him then I know it will definitely put a smile on Grian's beautiful face." He beamed, boy, did you wish him luck.

-

Christmas Morning

You took a stroll through a the world of Hermitcraft, more specifically the Shopping District. The morning was beautiful, pure joy and happiness filled the streets. The sky was blue and warm though the air was cold and white, though did it both you, of course not. It was Christmas Day after all! All the Hermits you passed wished you the same, a Merry Christmas was what you wished them back. You'd met up with Tango earlier that day. He'd claimed to of seen Scrooge just as the sun began to rise and the moon fall to the horizon. "I don't believe it. Has the hermit hit is head? He ran up to me this morning when I was on my way to RenDog's house when he gladly took my hand in his and offered an enormous sum of money. He'd had a change of heart he practically sung to me."
You both sat confused and quiet.

"Y/N!" Someone called to you, ypy spun round to see a familiar face from yesterday. Keralis. "Y/n! I'm so happy i caught you! Merry Christmas my friend! Have you heard the noise." He spoke so fast he didn't give you time to respond. "Have you heard? Why it's Scrooge of course, he came towards me just now and began to sing along to my carols. He explained that he got a visit from 4 ghosts that night. One being Impulse Marley, then the ghost of Christmas Past who looked awfully a lot like Pearl. Then Christmas Present that apparently reminded him greatly of Xisuma." He finally paused to breathe, "And finally, the most terrifying of all. The Ghost of Christmas yet to come! Then he woke up in bed a changed man, a smile and a laugh. he LAUGHED! My oh my, some dream that mad man had, hey y/n."

It was true. From that day on Mr. Scrooge was no longer the grumpy man you met that Christmas Eve, you even became to like is new nature.

Well that's the end of our Christmas tale, thank you Tango.

No problem!

And thank you, the people that read my books. This has been a pleasant first year on Wattpad and I have to admit, the ones that take their time to read them, vote on them and even comment, makes me so happy. I pick up my phone to see a notification from the app, seeing comments as kind as yours really lifts my heart. Okay that's a bit dramatic but it's true. They make me laugh and always smile. Thanks a bunch!

Merry Christmas!

Also I don't exactly proofread so sorry for mistakes.

Word count - 1711