𝟛.

"Wednesday..."

After checking us out for a solid minute, considering whether we were worthy of knowing her name or not, the girl finally replied. And not gonna lie, I was not expecting that. Like, obviously I didn't know what I was expecting, cuz there's a lotta names in this world and stuff...

"Why would your parents name you after the most useless day of the week?!" I finally ask, unable to hold it in. "What? It's not useless." Tyler quickly says. "It's the middle of the week. A mark of survival. Wednesdays are good. I like Wednesdays..." He rambles, making me roll my eyes.

"I was named after my mother's favorite poem, not the day Wednesday." She corrects. "Whacky Wednesday?" I guess the poem, even more confused now, because with that logic, I might as well just name my kid Spongebob, after the theme song.

"Wednesday's Child is Full of Woes." She answers. "That's uh, not depressing at all..." I mumble to myself. "Pretty sure my mom named me y/n, because the hospital wouldn't let her name me Oops." I joke, amusing no one but myself. I should shut up...

"Anyway, uh, Wednesday..." Tyler changes the topic, clearing his throat. "How about I drive to Burlington myself, to show you my appreciation?" He suggests, making her quad. "Perfect." Wednesday says. "Put that quad in a to-go cup." She commands, turning away to leave.

"Oh um, but I don't get off for another hour." The brunette sighs. Wednesday doesn't say a thing, but quickly offers him some money. "I'll sweeten the pot." She cocks up a brow. "Twenty whole dollars..." Tyler acknowledges. "Tempting, but no."

Without a moment of hesitation, she whips out another 20. "I'll make it 40."Making the guy groan softly, fighting the urge to just accept that, he reluctantly turns to the girl. "Listen, uh, Wednesday... one fun fact about me is that I can't be bought." He declines.

"You charge me for doing my homework like, all the time!" I remind. "That's different, okay?" He sighs. "You're hopeless." He rolls his eyes. "Anyway, as I was saying... You can either wait, or just find someone else to drive you." He scoffs.

"I can do it if you give me the keys." I offer. "Hmm... You don't exactly come across as someone who'd drive." Wednesday remarks after looking at me up and down. "I can if I want to." I scoff. "Yeah, over people. Not the actual destination." Tyler sighs. "Hey, that was one time!" I defend.

"You're both insufferable..." Wednesday scowls, storming away, taking a seat by the booth in front of the handsome stranger's. "Don't get your hopes up." I snap at my friend, whom I could see, was absolutely smitten by the girl's very existence.

"Girl's like that will chew you up and spit you out within no time at all." I scoff. "I have no idea what you're talking about." He rolls his eyes, looking away, making my coffee now. "Sorry for the wait... It's on the house." He sighs, giving me the cup.

"Think you can give it to that lil voodoo doll, right there?" He then requests, handing me Wednesday's drink as well. Walking over to the booth with our drinks, I decided to make myself feel welcomed, and get to know her more as her presence was really enigmatic, and sorta drew me in.

"So, what brings you here?" I ask her bluntly. "I'm sorry?" She looks at me, dead, but confused. "I mean, what are your powers? I know everyone in Nevermore has got some." I shrug. "My parents went to Nevermore." She begins.

"The only reason I'm here is to avoid the stain of an attempted murder on my record." She answers, making my eyes go wider than usual. Please tell me she is joking- "That's uh... Horrible?" I reply, a bit confused on how to feel about that. "Tell me about it. Everyone would know I failed to get the job done." She sighs, somewhat disappointed. 

??!!!!?!?!???!?!?

"But my peers already believe I killed two of them, so you WILL exercise your right to remain silent, if you know what's good for you." She threatens, making me gulp. "Uh, yes ma'am." I nod, somewhat amused and somewhat terrorized. 

"Is that why you wanna run away? To finish the job?" I then question. "Not quite." She takes a sip of her coffee. "My parents have always been looking for excuses to send me here." She starts. "It has always been a part of their nefarious, yet completely obvious plan." She muses.

"What plan?" I ask, genuinely curious. "To turn me into a version of themselves, of course." She deadpans. "Yeah, I might know a thing or two about that..." I sigh. "Mother's can be real bitches when it comes to that." I mumble, making her nod in agreement, taking another sip.

"And how about you?" She then turns to me. "Usually normies seem pretty wary of our mere existence." She states. "So why are you even talking to me?" She asks. "Well, to be honest, I always found prejudices dumb, be it about anything." I answer.

"It's something that comes naturally to us all, yes... But I believe we mustn't allow it to cloud our judgment." I add. "Besides, I've never fit in with the 'normies' anyway." I sigh. "Not here, not anywhere, not now, not ever." I shrug. "I was just never... normal enough, I guess." I sigh.

"And yes, socializing with the supernatural isn't any better, but I feel more understood by them than I will ever be by a normie of this town, anyway." I add. "Anyway, that's enough about me... I have another question for you." I change the topic, sensing someone stare at me without me looking.

"Go ahead. Depending on the validity of the question, I will choose whether it deserves an answer or not." Wednesday says, making me smile a little. I love her honesty. It was kinda relatable at this point. "What happens if you get caught halfway your escape?" I ask.

But before she could reply, or even give it a thought, the bell chimed as someone entered the cafe. Well, not just someone... It was Lucas Walker and his goons. Ugh, not these clowns again. Their predictability is getting kinda boring now.

"Well well well... What's a Nevermore freak doing out in the wild?"