𝟚𝟙.

"We're all set!"

A little nervous, I decided to stop constantly checking my phone, because there's no way my mom could know that I was here. Not only was my location hidden, but the school wouldn't be bothering her either as she already called them earlier to tell them I was sick.

I can't believe the classic OJ with cereals trick worked. The woman was disgusted- Besides, she'll be home late today as well. God, I really love that monster so much right now... Even if she does try to come earlier, she won't be back before 7:00 PM anyway, so I've got time.

"Thing's in position too." Wednesday confirms. "Wanna tell me what you three were up to?" The blonde raises her brows. "And spoil the surprise?" I scoff, way too excited to remain still anymore. "Speaking of surprised... Your costumes are in the tent!" Enid grins.

"Wait, costumes?" I ask, rather stunned.

I was kinda digging the spare Nevermore uniform Enid made me wear earlier to not attract much attention. "Oh, for the makeup... I need to know if you're allergic to anything, because we kinda use different products here compared to the normie world..." She then turns to me.

Fifteen minutes had gone by, and my hair and makeup was finally done. Not only were we dressed in a faux-leather catwoman suit, but we also had to put on some cat ears and whiskers. I had to practically beg Enid to let me rip out the tails.

The makeup was very cute though, not gonna lie, but it wasn't something I'd be very comfortable wearing on a regular basis. I mean, duh, no one does draw whiskers on their face on a regular basis... But even the eyes and the lips- a bit too excessive for my taste.

But it makes sense cuz we are going into the water, after all. 

"Aww, don't you two look 'purr-fect'!" Enid grins at us. "Please don't say that ever again. I might just be forced to cut your tongue, otherwise." I sigh, wanting to cry because of that pun. "Wow, aren't you being catty." She rolls her eyes, giggling a little, making me wanna drown.

"Woah woah woah-" She then suddenly stops Wednesday. "Where are your whiskers?" She asks. "Ask that again, and you'll be down to eight lives." She deadpans, making Enid gulp. I felt that- "Oh, looks like it's finally starting. Let's go!" Enid drags us both away.

We finally made it in time, gathering by the lake, entering out boats and getting ready.

"Aww, doesn't she look purr-etty?" I hear a very amused Atlas mock me along with his teammates. "You know... you didn't need all that paint to prove that you're a clown, Sylvanne." I retort, making a few of my teammates, and his snicker.

Atlas just rolls his eyes at me, smiling softly and looking straight ahead as the fanfare began.

Enid was giggling, and waving to the gorgon she was so undeniably in love with, who smiled back before looking away. "Focus." Wednesday snaps her out of it, attracting Bianca's attention. "Well well, look what we have here." She raises her brows at the raven.

"The runt of the litter." She scoffs. "For the record, I don't believe I'm better than everyone else." Wednesday responds, making Bianca's face soften a little. "Just better than you." She snarks, making Bianca's face drop, the icy rage evident in her reptilian eyes.

"I welcome you all to the Edgar Allan Poe Cup!" The headmistress began announcing.

"This is one of Nevermore's proudest annual traditions, dating back to 125 years." She beamed proudly. "Each team must row across to Raven island, pull a flag from Crackstone's Crypt, and hustle back without sinking, or being sunk." She instructs.

"First team to cross the finish like with their flag wins the cup, and bragging rights for a year, as well as some special privileges." She adds. Wait, what special privileges? I love feeling special! "Let the Poe Cup BEGIN!" She shot the air-gun, indicating the beginning of the race.

Everyone was cheering, and we were all yelling out motivational quotes to each other, rowing as fast as we could without losing focus or coordination. We weren't the fastest out there, but we were still ahead of the Clowns and the Purple hooded team. I don't even know their names.

"Oh please, excuse us." Xavier guffaws nastily, joined by the other clowns too, as they overtook us, switching to our track, and bumping into us, slowing us down. "Screw you, Thorpe!" I curse, losing it and whacking him in the head using my ore, making him lose his balance.

"Stay focused." One of his teammates snaps at him as he nearly fell over, and everyone in my burst out laughing, except Wednesday of course. But by the glint in her usually dull eyes, I could tell that she was satisfied to have witnessed that.

We all continued rowing, slowly gaining momentum, but that's when the purple hoods caught up to us. "Stroke, stroke, stroke..." They chanted over and over again. That sounds so sus not gonna lie. They finally caught up to us, and something shiny caught my eye.

Wait a minute... Were those real axes?!

A lever clacked, and within a second two axes came, flying towards us. I would have certainly been beheaded if it weren't for Thing, who managed to pull me back. Can't believe I owe my life to a hand- But this moment truly marked our real friendship.

Since all of us were startled by this, we began rowing faster, not wanting to stay close to the purple-hooded freaks. The moment we crossed them, we could hear them yell for help, and swear at each other. "Purples are down." I tell my teammates as I slowly watch them sink.

I continued rowing without getting distracted, but couldn't resist to sneak a peek at them one more time, as they swam away in defeat. And honestly, I'm glad I did, cuz seeing them being driven away and lose control confirmed my theory. So I guess Wednesday was right after all.

Bianca DID have someone on the inside...