𝟚𝟜.

"You're gonna be late!"

Rolling my eyes and quickly styling my hair, I was finally ready. Grabbing an apple for breakfast, I was confident I could get myself something for free at the Weathervane today. "Oh, and as you know... This year's Outreach Day culminates in a very special event." My mother starts as we get into the car.

"Lemme guess, forced inclusivity? Outcast parade? The end is near?" I ask, wondering what this entire act was about. They hosted this event every year as a mark of unity amongst Normies and Outcasts, but you don't really see it actually happen now, do you?

It's all a sham, and a way for the Mayor to make some money off Nevermore's council and wealthy alumnis. And everyone knew this. The Normies, AND the Outcasts. I just don't know why they go along this meaningless flow anyway.

It's not like it's fun either, so I really fail to see the point of encouraging dishonesty. It's basically a way for Mr. Walker to make some money from both sides, AND get cheap labor to do the shit no one else would do for free, in his town.

Like seriously though, all we're doing today is work at different location alongside the Nevermore students, and pretend that all is well. It's a miracle how no one has been hospitalized yet, not gonna lie. Some of the students can be a bit... extreme when it comes to the mutual hatred between the two communities. 

Makes Lucas and his goons seem like real angels.

"No- Of course not!" My mom scoffs. "It's the dedication of a new memorial statue in the town-square." She shrugs, making me palm my face. "Your friends from school will be performing too, to honor the event. And of course... Those freaks as well." She mutters the last bit.

"You could've joined them too if you wouldn't have faked your own illness to go hang-out with the wrong sorts." She rolls her eyes. "You're right, mother. Nothing can be more devastating than dancing around in tiny little tutu skirts in front of the entire town with the people whose existence I can't stand." I sigh, faking a pained expression.

"No one said anything about not performing..." She mumbles. "I took the liberty to sign you up for your own violin solo!" She grins excitedly. "You did WHAT?!" I ask, as a mixture of anger and anxiety stirs up in my stomach. "Oh, c'mon... You're overreacting." My mom scoffs.

"I'm sure it can't be that challenging for you to play one of your signature uplifting Fleetwood Mac melody." She smiles. "Yes it is. I stopped playing ages ago!" I argue, still trying to comprehend that. "Ever since dad died, yeah..." She mumbles to herself.

"But anyway, this means a lot to the Mayor, y/n. I might even land a promotion due to your performance." She says. "I don't care- I'm not doing it!" I snap, annoyed just by the thought of it. "Yes you are, I already signed you up!" My mom informs.

"Then un-sign me or something!" I scoff. "Just tell them I'm sick. I'll just stay at home." I plead. "After that little stunt you pulled two weeks ago, I hardly think so-" She scoffs. "Mom, just- Please, I cannot do it. Not yet..." I sigh, crossing my arms, staring uncomfortably.

"Can you stop being so selfish for once?" My mom stops the car, pulling my the Weathervane where I was to work today. "I could say the same for you." I retort. "Excuse me?" She raises her brows at me. "What, am I wrong?" I mock her.

"Ever since we moved here, I've been nothing more than your stupid puppet!" I scoff. "I'm just trying to do what's best for you." She defends. "Clearly not, if you think it's best for me to play an instrument I vowed to NEVER touch again, in public, with zero practice!" I yell.

"Not everything is about you, okay? I've been breaking my back every single day just so that YOU get to have the things that I never had, okay? You don't know how hard it is to be a single mom with a noncompliant teenager with an attitude problem!" She taunts.

"I'm not the only noncompliant person here. Want me to list everything you've done? Oh wait- You weren't even there half the times." I scoff. "Enough with the drama, y/n. I'm doing the best I can." She sighs. "You're doing the best you can for yourself!" I remind.

"Ever since we moved here, it's like I don't even exist anymore." I scoff.

"You're barely around, and whenever you are, you're either in a bad mood, or just sleeping. So I'm sorry for not telling you things anymore, but maybe it's simply because you never listen?!" I argue, referring to all the fights we've had this week.

"Y/n, you're playing today, and that's final." She decides, lowering her voice when she notices people gather around the car, waiting to welcome her. "No, I'm not." I put my foot down. "Yes, you are." She snaps. "Why?!" I ask, losing my cool. "BECAUSE I SAID SO-" She finally yells.

"Your phone will remain with me until you fix that attitude of your. And don't even think about ditching the ceremony with one of your freakish friends, because I promise that I will find you." She says 'calmly'. "Whatever. I'm used to not having it around anyway." I roll my eyes, accustomed to it due to having my phone confiscated 2 weeks ago, when I got grounded.

My mom caught me partying with Enid and her friends at the Weathervane on the day of the Poe Cup, and the Mayor and her colleagues were with her too, so it wasn't a very pleasant situation. Since then, she confiscated all of my devices, grounded me, AND hired security to drop me and pick me up from school.

I haven't been in touch with anyone since, so a part of me was kind of excited for today, as I would finally meet Atlas (hopefully). But obviously my mood just had to be killed, and right now all I wanted to do was lie in a puddle and sulk.

Before I could step outta the car after taking a minute to cool down, my mom grabbed my tight by the arm. "y/n, I'm serious about this." She starts as I glare at her hand, and then at her. "For possibly the first time ever in your life, today isn't going to go your way." She warns. 

"Yeah, it's all about Mayor Walker now, isn't it?"

A/N

I'm sick ;-;

A little unsure about how this turned out as I'm extremely bored, but too drowzy to read through it all, so I'm just gonna be impulsive and post it.

Lemme know how you feel about this, and once I feel a bit better, I might edit it.

Anyway, take care my sweet, precious, wonderful readers. I hope y'all like my work so far, and don't forget to praise yourself enough, because you deserve it.

Byeeeeeeeee🤍🤍🤍