𝟙𝟚.

"W-wha? Where am I..?"

The moment my eyes opened, the brightness of the room blinded me, triggering my migraine, making me clutch my head, groaning. "You're finally awake!" My mom cries, rushing up to me. "Mom?" I rub my eyes, a little surprised to see her after so long.

"Why am I in the hospital?" I ask, sitting up now. "I'll do you one better." She narrows her eyes at me. "Why were you brought home by not one, but TWO bloodied up Nevermore Freaks, in the middle of the night, covered in blood?" She asks, raising her voice a little.

"Shit." I curse under my breath, knowing how much my mother, and pretty much every average Jericho resident hated the outcasts. "Oh, you have some explaining to do, young lady." She crosses her arms. "Mom, it's not what it looks like..." I sigh.

"I heard a scream, so I went to the woods to investigate." I answer. "At night in the midst of a serial killer on loose?" She raises her brows, freaking out even more. "I was just curious!" I defend, knowing how much worse I had just made things for myself. 

"Well, curiosity killed the cat!" She snaps. "How could you be so irresponsible?" She asks, making me look away. "I mean, as if it wasn't bad enough you've been spotted with those pathetic freaks, now you--" She begins, but I cut her short.

"They're not freaks, they're my friends!" I scoff, making her gasp in shock. "I think." I mumble to myself. "Oh no, no honey. Those freaks... they are NOT your friends." She rolls her eyes. "Yes, they are! And stop calling them that-" I sigh, too tired for this nonsense. 

"Sweetie... Is this about your father?" She then asks, making me freeze.

"What? What's about him?" I ask, getting defensive now. "Your sudden behavioral change." She states. "I mean, you've been snapping at everyone, locking yourself away in your room, you skip meals, sneak out, skip classes, mix with the wrong sorts... Do EVERYTHING I've always warned you against." She lists.

"Is this some kind of a rebellion? A coping mechanism as Dr. Kinbott believes?" She asks, making me scoff. "Mom, stop shrinking me-" I scoff, getting up. "This is NOT about dad. This is about you constantly trying to control literally EVERYTHING in my life." I storm away, grabbing a spare change of clothes kept on the chair as I walked outta the room.

"Where do you think you're going?" She calls. "Weathervane? Home? Anywhere away from this conversation-" I scoff. "Yeah, unfortunately that's not gonna happen." My mom sighs, following me out. "Dr. Kinbott wishes to see you soon." She informs.

"Well, just tell her I'm busy or something." I shrug, walking into the bathroom to change.

"She has personally requested you come in for today's session." Mother continues once I exit. "She would like to discuss the incidents that took place last night." She adds, making me roll my eyes. "I'll be dropping you there myself, and picking you up too so that you can get your rest."

Rolling my eyes at the woman, I couldn't believe I actually missed her not to long ago.

"And I would really like to understand what exactly goes on in that head of yours when you venture the woods in the middle of the night, looking for the killer, which might just be one of your new friends." She taunts, signing the discharge papers as we made it to the car.

"Look, I know the kind of reputation they have around here... But it's nothing but biased bullshit if you ask me." I scoff. "Why can't you just be friends with more normal people? Like-like Casandra Johnson... Or Lucas and his friends?" She suggests instead.

"Mom, trust me, those guys are anything but normal." I laugh mirthlessly at the woman's audacity. "Lucas has literally had it in for me ever since he first met me. And don't even get me started on his dumb friends." I roll my eyes.

"He is mean to you because he likes you." My mom shrugs. "That's just his way of looking out for you." She adds, making me cringe bad. Ain't no way she just said that. "Please never say that to me again. Or I swear to god, I will dive outta this car." I request politely.

"Okay, we're here..." My mom sighs, pulling over once we reach. "I'll be waiting for you out here, so don't even think of sneaking out again." She warns. "Yeah yeah, whatever." I roll my eyes, opening the door, eager to step out and run away and never turn back.

"Oh, and y/n?" My mom calls. "Hmm?" I turn back to face her. "There is a possibility that the two freaks from yesterday might be there too, considering they're the only other alibis..." She mumbles. "I want you to avoid them." She commands.

"What- why?!" I ask, completely devastated now. I mean, I just started to get to know them better. I don't wanna just stop now. They seem great, and I'd really like to be around them more often. "The sheriff warned me you'd react that way." She sighs.

"He mentioned how close you've been getting to that freak from the cafe." She adds, making me ball up my fists every time she called them that. "And look, I know how unfair this must seem right now, but trust me, that boy is nothing but trouble." She scoffs.

"The sheriff showed me their criminal records, and the girl's a straight up psycho." She starts. "But then again, can't say I'm surprised. Her father's a literal murderer." She rolls her eyes. "And the boy has done pretty unforgivable things too in the past." She frowns.

"We're only looking out for you, because we care about you. And with your father gone, you are going to make a lot of dumb decisions due to your vulnerability." She sighs. "Stop always bringing him up. I'm getting late." I snap, slamming the door shut.

"And STOP calling them FrEaKs!"