𝟛𝟚.

"FIRE- OUR SAVIOR IS ON FIRE!!!"

Reaching the climax of the song, I was way too immersed in my music to actually notice something. Tears streamed down my cheeks as I shut my eyes, all the memories I've made with my father coming back to me, replaying in my mind.

I'm sorry I didn't value you enough...

I just wish I could see you one last time-

We didn't even get to say a proper goodbye.

Why didn't you warn me that this would happen?

Please come back, I need you here with me.

WE need you.

I hate you.

I miss you.

This can't be real...

Don't leave me hanging.

I love you, please don't go.

An explosion was heard, and everyone was screaming.

I felt the heat too, but I continued playing. After all, the show must always go on. I was, however, a but surprised when I heard a cello join my performance as well, and when I looked to the side, I saw a very satisfied Wednesday, playing along.

How she knew this song, or where she had heard it was the least of my concerns. But the fact that she played flawlessly brought a smile to my face. By the time I was done, I already felt a lot lighter. Something I haven't felt since a long time now.

It was kinda cathartic, just as Atlas had theorized. 

But when I finally look around, the crowd was gone, except this one man sleeping on the seat with the statue of Crackstone ablaze right next to him. A little bummed, I was also a bit relieved that no one was there, until I finally heard cheers erupt from the townsquare, a good 20 meters away. 

 "Go y/n!" A few students cry, and everyone began applauding for my performance until the fire-fighters arrived. "Holy shit- when did that happen?!" I exclaim, finally comprehending what was going on, and turning to the side, Wednesday's smirk answered all of my questions.

The statue, to a large extent, was still intact, but Crackstone's cold, wrinkly face was all melted and deformed by now. "ADDAMS!" The sheriff yells, and Wednesday quickly packs up, offering me a slight nod, bidding me adieu.

***

"That was a disaster!" My mom paces around. "The mayor is FURIOUS..." She panics, chugging down her 4th glass of wine before just grabbing the entire bottle. "I've lost count of angry phone calls, emails and people in the town, alumni and parents and Nevermore freaks!" She yells.

"They all want answers that I don't have!" She lets out a frustrated scream.

"I had nothing to do with it." I frown, crossing my arms nervously, wondering if she was gonna ground me again. "I know you don't... I'm sorry, I'm just extremely aggravated that someone would do something like this to ruin your performance!" She scoffs, massaging her temples.

"Well, I mean... I did continue playing, so-" I shrug, rather unbothered. "And I am very proud of your determination." She nods. "But you could've endangered yourself!" She then paces around again, surprising me a little with her genuine concern.

"It was that Addams girl, I KNOW IT WAS HER!" She exclaims.

"Didn't she swear on her late-scorpion's soul?" I raise my brow. "The sheriff did say that she was being truthful, despite how bizarre it sounded." I remind. "Her hands may have been clean, but she had something to do with it." My mother sighs.

Trying to contain my smirk, I knew exactly which hand was involved.

"I may not have any hard evidence yet, but I bet she has something to do with these monster attacks too. She is, after all, a trouble magnet. Her and that no-good werewolf friend of hers!" She rambles. "Yeah, if trouble means standing up to lies." I scoff.

"I'm sorry?" She gives me a confused look, noticing my protective behaviour for the two. "C'mon mom, don't you know the real history of this town?" I raise my brow, standing up and walking up to her, taking the bottle away. Oh great, it's completely empty.

"The Outcasts have faces years of discrimination. For centuries, they've always been treated like second-class citizens, or worse. And it's still going on now!" I sigh, unable to get Wednesday's vision out of my mind. "Why does this place even have an Outreach Day?" I ask.

"It was just a re-election campaign." My mom sighs. "And yes, I am aware of it's history." She adds. "Then why do you try to cover it all up and try to show you're something that you very clearly aren't?" I ask bluntly, genuinely curious than annoyed at this point.

"You think I'm not trying to get the two towns separated?!" She snaps. "I've been trying to get the Mayor to divide the place into two for the sake of upholding peace between both the communities. And Larissa, I believe, would make a perfect outcast mayor too!" She rants.

"But of course, it's all about power now, isn't it?" She rolls her eyes. "The human mind is naturally designed to dislike anything that's different. It's a survival mechanism, and also a huge reason why prejudice still exists in this world." She explains, opening another bottle.

"And I know I raised you better than follow that, but sometimes it's better to let your primal instincts take charge." She sighs. "I'm not saying ALL outcasts are evil. I'm just trying to protect you because at the end of the day, we know nothing about them, or their powers." She adds.

"And just as it is with normal people, not everyone you meet is going to be an angel. Except in this case, you are dealing with creatures 10x times faster, stronger, and less ethical than you." She explains. "A small accident while playing with a werewolf is enough for you get your arm ripped out. They may not mean it, but they tend to underestimate their own strength."

Silence followed once she finally explained her side of the story, and though I still found it very unreasonable, a part of me was glad that she really didn't hate them as much as she always showed. She's just scared. And honestly, I don't think I can blame her anymore.

I mean, we did kinda leave behind everything and everyone we knew to come to a place where no similarities whatsoever. The history, the culture, the people, the communities... Nothing is the same anymore.

"Just... goodnight, y/n. It's late, and you have school tomorrow." She sighs, unable to stand still anymore. Must be the liquor. Mom's getting wasted. At least this means that tonight is gonna be peaceful, unlike all the other nights of this week.

"I was promised my phone in exchange for my performance. I wish to have it now."