𝟙𝟠.

"I keep seeing that same purple book..."

Looking around for a book with matching descriptions, Atlas, Wednesday, Thing and I went our separate ways. Letting out a silent gasp, I nearly screamed when two vampires stumbled upon me. But I guess they were too busy making out to actually care about my existence.

"This one?" I then ask Wednesday, looking for books with Thing.

"No, the cover was darker..." She replies, and we continued looking. A few more minutes had passed, and we had no luck in our search. "Nope. The one I saw looked like a day-old contusion." Sighs the raven when Thing spotted another book.

Giving her a thumbs-up, the hand climbed higher, looking more carefully this time. Wait a minute, how can he see or hear, or even think without the rest of his body? You know what, I don't want to know. Defying reality is the core value of the supernatural.

"Someone's coming..." Atlas quickly warns, pulling me aside, instructing Thing to keep me hidden as he continued looking for the book alongside the raven. "I don't usually find students in here looking for actual books." A woman spoke, walking down the straight.

Phew, that was close-

"Most sneak in to make out." She resumes. "I accidently walked in on two vampires fanging." Wednesday deadpans. "I can't unsee that." She sighs. You and I both, Addams. You and I both... "Is there something I can help you find?" The woman, whom I assume is the librarian, then offers.

After deep consideration, I hear the rustling of paper.

Thing, who was spying on them of my behalf, later informs me that she showed him the design of the book she kept seeing. "Have you seen this before?" I hear the girl question. "It's a watermark from the book I'm looking for." She adds.

"I think it's the symbol to an old student society." The lady replies after analyzing it. "Um, The Nightshades." She answers. "Like the deadly flower?" Wednesday asks. "Color me intrigued." She mumbles. "I was told they disbanded years ago..." The librarian informs.

"Any idea why?" She asks. "Sorry..." The lady sighs, and I hear some more footsteps.

Wednesday walking over to the nearby table where Atlas was seated, doing his homework or something, according to Thing. "I was very impressed with your answers in class today, by the way..." The woman continues. "I guess you finally have some competition, Atlas." She chuckles.

The boy remained silent, true to his character, and never looked away from his book. Judging by how close we got recently, ever since the Harvest Festival, I had almost forgotten about that side of him. The cold, nonchalant one.

"My mother is a carnivorous plant aficionado. I assume I get my red thumb from her." Wednesday replies. "Are you and your mother close?" The woman interrogates, making me frown a little. What's it to her? Seems like a red flag to me...

"Like two inmates sentenced to life on the same cell block." Muses the raven. "I know it can't be easy... Showing up mid-semester." The woman sighs, taking a seat next to the uncomfortable boy. "Or experiencing drastic losses in your life." She adds, possibly referring to the werewolf.

"I've been here a year and a half, and I still feel like an outsider." She sighs. "Is that because you're the only normie on the staff?" Wednesday asks bluntly. "Enid told me." She quickly adds. Oh, so she must be the nosy 'dorm-mom' she was ranting to me about last week...

"To tell you the truth, I've never really fit in anywhere." Sighs the woman. "Too odd for the normies, not odd enough for the outcasts..." She mumbles. "I thought Nevermore would be different, but there's still a handful of teachers who will barely acknowledge me." She adds.

"So we're kinda in the same boat right now, Mr. Sylvanne." She smiles.

"Or is it Ga--" She starts, but was cut off by the chair's noise, meaning that the boy had gotten up now. "Sylvanne works fine." He clears his throat. "And we have absolutely nothing in common." He snaps, storming away. "Did he leave?" I ask Thing, once I hear the footsteps fade, and he just replies 'yes', making me cross my arms awkwardly.

I don't think I should've heard that... Seems like there's some private issue between the two. Not my place to judge, I guess. But I still couldn't help but feel a little embarrassed for the librarian. "I act as if I don't care if people dislike me." Wednesday then muses.

"But deep down..." She mumbles. "I secretly enjoy it." She deadpans, making me smile a little to myself. That's the spirit. Wish I was like her too, in some ways. Things would've been easier if my emotions were just negligible, y'know. Lesser thoughts, more action... No depression.

"Never lose that Wednesday..." I hear the woman remark. "Lose what?" The raven questions. "The ability to not let others define you." She answers. "It's a gift." She adds, making me think of that one Teen Wolf meme.  

(Iykyk, and ily iyk😭)

"Doesn't always feel that way..." Wednesday admits a minute later. "The most interesting plants grow in the shade." The lady mumbles, walking away before turning back one last time. "And if you ever need anyone to talk to, the door to the conservatory is always open." She finishes.

"Welp- that was painful to witness." I scoff, finally getting outta my position which had the direct view to the two vamps who were still 'fanging'. "What do we do now?" I ask the raven, hoping she'd help me out of this place now, since it was dinner time soon.

"We pay Rowan's room a surprise visit, of course..."