𝟚𝟘.

"I feel just like a ninja turtle right now..."

Wednesday, Thing and I, without saying anything, quickly snuck out through the window, and slipped down the waterspout, making it safely to the ground without falling to our deaths. Thing was resting on my shoulder, tired after investigating so much.

We both headed towards Ophelia Hall, where Wednesday and Enid stayed, but froze when we saw the lady from earlier in the hallway, discussing something with the headmistress. "Holy shit they can't see us!" I quickly stop Wednesday, showing her the time, which was past 10.

Not only was it past curfew for the Nevermore students, but it was also late for me. Thankfully, my mom missed dinner again today due to her meeting with the Mayor, so I doubt she's home yet. And even if she is, I'm sure she must've passed out already.

I haven't gotten a million texts and calls from her so far, so I'm sure she hasn't noticed my absence. Hopefully it stays that was, so I really CANNOT afford to get caught. Also, did I mention how garbage the librarian's style is?

Red hair, and a hand-me-down robe... She must be a normie.

Hah, jkjk. I couldn't see her very clearly from here, but her boots really sucked. Who even wears red boots anymore? Bro's in her Boots (from Dora the Explorer) era. Except even he has better style than her. Just her shoes are giving me the ick other than her entire, well, personality.

I don't know man, I'm just not getting good vibes from her. Doesn't matter how great a person she might really be, or how many people love her and shit. If my gut's telling me something, I'm gonna listen to it. Learnt it the hard way many times.

"Follow me." The raven then whispers, quietly slipping away, dragging me along with her, and just a few minutes later, we were climbing up the waterspout, which was a lot harder than it seemed considering that it kept shaking vigorously with every foot we moved higher, convincing me that it was gonna break any moment.

Also, did I mention how sweaty my hands were getting?

Nevertheless, we eventually made it to the balcony, alive, about 30 minutes later. "I ought to sue all the movies I've ever watched for promoting fake news like 'climbing walls is easy'." I roll my eyes. 'Wonder how the Mexicans do it...' Thing says, making me snort.

"Ayo thing, that's rude!" I smack the hand with mine. "Eh, who raised you." I scoff once he smacks me back, and we both get into a small fight, whilst being dragged into the room through Wednesday's window by the unamused raven.

"Where have you been?!" A familiar blonde weeps, all red from crying her puffy eyes out. "y/n?" She then looks at me, confused. "What's wrong?" I ask her, concerned. "I'm literally having a heart attack right now!" She sniffles. "Yoko's in the infirmary." She quickly informs.

"What happened?" Wednesday asks, unbothered. "Garlic bread incident at dinner." She answers, pacing around. "She had a major allergic reaction, and she's now outta the Poe Cup, which means that I don't have a co-pilot and one teammate less." She sobs.

"I can do it." Wednesday finally sighs, plotting something.

"Good, because I wasn't gonna give you another option anyway!" Enid suddenly stopped crying, grinning at the raven now. Uh... I sense bipolarity... "But we still can't take part as we're one member less." She recalls, wailing again. 

"It wasn't an accident. Bianca was behind it." Wednesday comments, referring to the garlic-incident. "How do you know?" Enid asks. "Doesn't matter." The raven brushes it off. "We've got eyes and ears and, uh, hands everywhere." I smile.

"We are all gonna take her down tomorrow." Wednesday deadpans, the determination burning in her charcoal eyes. "How? We can't participate without 4 members!" The werewolf scoffs. "We have 4." Wednesday muses, looking over at me.

 "Wait, you're joining the Black Cats?" Enid finally stops crying for the again, looking at me with big, blue, hopeful eyes. Her mood-swings seriously concern me. I'm just gonna hope it's just her period, cuz ain't no way I can handle another bipolar friend.

Having a psychopath for a friend is risky enough.

"Is that even allowed?" I ask, not minding the invitation, but not sure about it either. "Anything's allowed as long as you don't get caught." She repeats Atlas's words from earlier. "Yeah, besides, with the costumes and make-up... Weems won't be able to recognize you!" Enid adds.

"Sure, I guess I could skip school... Not like I did my homework today anyway." I sigh, giving in, knowing how risky it was, yet not caring. "You're willing to do that for me?" Enid asks, not believing it. "Yeah, sure. Sounds fun, as long as I don't get caught..." I shrug.

"Thank you, thank you SO SO MUCH!" Enid jumps around excitedly, pulling me into a tight hug, suffocating me with her strength, which I don't think she realizes yet. Damn, I clearly underestimated her power. Looks can be hella deceiving-

"I want to humiliate Bianca so badly that the bitter taste of defeat burns in her throat." Wednesday deadpans grimly. "Yeah, but mostly you're doing it because we're all friends, right?" Enid raises her brow. "I just don't wanna do homework." I confess, earning a glare from the wolf.

"And because we're friends." I gulp, not wanting yet another hug to honor our friendship. Wednesday thinks about it for a minute, the turns her back towards us, ditching the question. "Tell me how she keeps winning" She muses, changing the topic.

"Well, I mean... I may not know much, but I do know that she's a siren." I mumble.

"Doesn't that qualify as a natural advantage?" I shrug. "It's a real brain cramp..." Enid then starts, thinking about it for a minute. "The past two years, no other boat has made it across the lake and back without sinking." She informs. "Sounds like sabotage." Wednesday remarks.

"Well, I mean, there aren't really any rules, per se, in the Poe Cup." Enid replies. "No rules at all?" I ask. "Nope. It's a part-boat, part-foot chase." She answers. "Woah- Now this is MY kind of a race." I grin, excited to skip school tomorrow.

"And of course, as y/n said, she is a siren." Enid adds, resuming the discussion about Bianca's tactics. "So that kinda does make her a master of the water." The blonde sighs. "Then we just need to beat her at her own game." Wednesday muses, facing us finally.

"And how exactly are we gonna do that?" I ask. "I have a plan." A smirk slowly crept to her face. But before she could go on and reveal her grand plan, someone barged into the room. Red boots. Of course. Just when things were getting good. Fun-sucker.

"What are you girls doing up so late?" She questions, shocked.

"It was lights out an hour ago!" She reminds, looking at them both sternly, her eyes then settling on me. Before she could ask me who I was, or what I was doing there, or drag me to the headmistresses' office, I grab a nearby blanket.

"You never saw me here." I speak in a low, bat-man voice, tossing the blanket up in the air, and making a dash for the window. Unfortunately, for me, the blanket had fallen too soon, and so I looked like a complete idiot, pulling off that move.

I could hear Enid roar with laughter, but fortunately for me, the very unimpressed teacher, decided to let this one slip. I quickly slid down the waterspout, feeling like a spider, and landed on the ground on my ass. Welp- that was embarrassing. Good thing there's no one around.

Best leave before I bump into the monster for a round 2 in the woods...