Chapter 18

Maira's POV:
I opened my eyes to observe a blank white wall. My throat was dry. I cleared my throat and looked around. This place doesn't seem familiar. Then everything hit me.

Bonfire. Ali. Zaviyaar. Accident.

The last thing I remember was me yelling at Zaviyaar and then a car hitting me. I then remember Zaviyaar taking me in his arms asking me not to close my eyes. Zaviyaar had tears in his eyes as well. That was new, I never thought Zaviyaar was a person who would cry. Especially for me.
Then I remember him calling me 'Meri Jaan'. That did something to me. I thought about him. He saved me yesterday from Ali and he brought me here. I began having a soft corner for him but it's probably because he helped me in need and nothing else.

I looked around and saw mama offering prayer. I wanted water but my arm was bandaged and looking at it I could tell and feel that it was fractured. I looked at my whole body and my left side was damaged because that's the side where the car hit me. As I was analysing this, mama came to me with a glass of water. How does she know what I want without me saying it?

I drank the water and handed the glass back to mama. "What's the time?" I asked in a rough, hoarse voice. "It's 6 in the morning." she replied. "How are you feeling now?" she asked. "It hurts all over but I'll be alright. Huwa kiya kiya hai?" I asked her about my injuries. I got to know that I'll be discharged tomorrow but I would be on bed rest for the next 6 weeks.

I wanted to see baba, bhai, Azlan and also Zaviyaar. I wanted to thank him for bringing me here.

I slept again. It was around 8 in the morning when I woke up again. I saw my whole family in my room. Baba came and kissed my forehead and so did my brothers. They all sat there for about an hour before everyone had to go to their office, university and for baba, the clinic. Mama was reluctant to leave me here alone even for an hour but I insisted that she should go home and get fresh. She was here all night, she must be tired.

Everyone left and I closed my eyes to get some sleep again as I was feeling very drowsy. I heard the noise of the door opening. Who can be here? Everyone went home. I looked at the door and there he was.

He was looking completely disheveled. His hair was a mess, his eye were red and his shirt was crinkled. He gave me a broken smile and stood by the door. "How are you feeling now?" He asked.

"Idhar aao" I asked him to sit on the stool nearby. I knew no one from my family would be showing up here for at least an hour.

He came and sat on the stool looking at me.

There was something about him. He looked broken.