Chapter 28

Zaviyaar's POV
I came back home from Maira's house feeling disappointed in myself. I hated myself when I saw those tears in her eyes. I promised her that I'll be with her and we'll figure it out together but we never thought that her family will get to know this way.

I have absolutely no means of contacting her and it breaks me even more. If we could talk, we could do something.

I can't imagine what Maira must be going through.

I just sat there on my bed, crying. It felt good to let those feelings out which I had been holding in. I heard a knock on my door. I quickly wiped my tears and said "Come in".

I saw my mother walk in. As soon as she saw me, a worrisome expression became evident on her face.

"Zavi bachay, yeh kiya haal banaya huwa hai tumne apna beta?" She said concerned about her son while walking towards him, ready to hug him.

Ammi came and sat beside me, concern covering her whole being. I couldn't hold it in longer and I lay my head on her lap and cried. I cried in her lap like I used to cry when my toy broke or when I would get hurt playing.

Ammi didn't say anything and just caressed my hair and let me cry. Once I calmed down a bit, she asked me again," Kiya huwa hai beta? Tum mujhe pareshan kar rahe ho."

I knew I had to tell her now. "Ammi, There is a girl that I like...no I love. But her family is very conservative. Somehow her family got to know about us and they've snatched her phone. I have no means of contacting her and I don't even know how they're treating her. Since the day I met her she has repeatedly told me how strict her family is. I can't let her go through everything alone Ammi nor can I lose her."

Ammi was taken aback by this news. She knew my idea of marriage and the past relationships I had. So it was new for her to see me cry for a girl.

"Naam kiya hai?" was the first thing she asked.

"Maira Ahmer"

"How old is she?" She further interrogated.

"19, she's done with her A-levels. She did it from our college. Now waiting for her result." I told her still laying in her lap.

"Tell me the whole story Zavi" she said and I sat up staright rubbing my eyes.

I told her everything, from A to Z.

"Do you have a picture of her?" she asked looking very excited.

I took out my phone and showed her a picture of Maira and myself at the breakfast. A smile came upon my face when I saw that picture.

"MashAllah, she's so so pretty! I like your choice." She said the last line teasingly.

"I never knew you could be like this but I'm very proud of you for changing your lifestyle for her. And you don't worry. I'll talk to your father and we'll ask her hand in marriage" she said taking my face in her palm.

This actually was what I wanted but deep down I was aware that it was still a 50% chance but even if it was a 1% chance that could bring me and Maira together, I would take that with all my heart.

I smiled brightly at Ammi and she left saying that I should take rest and sleep but sleep was far far away and all I had were thoughts about Maira. My Ru.

I knew that we had an option to elope but I was also aware that Maira wouldn't want that. Her family meant a lot to her.

I lay there thinking about how I can make things right and make her mine in the right way. I spent most of the night thinking about it until I slept.

I woke up when Abbu was waking me up.

"Jee Abbu uth gaya" I saw the time and it was 12. I was late for office. I hurriedly got up from the bed.

"Aaj office choro beta. Mujhe tumse kuch baat karni hai, tum fresh hoke ajao main idhar hi hun" Abbu said. I knew Ammi must have talked to him and he was here to talk to me.

I nodded and went towards the bathroom. After around 10 minutes I came back and sat with Abbu.

"Sumaira told me about the girl. Are you really that serious about her?" He asked.

I smiled looking at him, "Yes" is all I could say. It felt weird to talk to Abbu about Maira, or for that matter I would've felt weird talking to him about any girl. I wasn't as open to him as I was to Ammi.

"Very unlike you. What happened to the party boy who would fool around with girls?" He said in a playful tone.

"Oh that boy died when I met her." I told him in the same tone.

He laughed a little and said, "You're in deep trouble bachay" while patting my back.

"We'll go there today evening, Is that okay with you?" He asked me teasingly.

I nodded and he pat my back once again and left.

I was so so happy. This might be it. This might be what makes us one or what Ru what call it, Halal.

*******************
Drop your feedback in the comments and let me know how you're liking the story till now!