Chapter 35

Author's POV

She stopped in her tracks when she heard him say

"Don't leave this time Ru"

Ru. It felt like home to her. The feeling of love, warmth, homeliness and most of all, nostalgia hit her. Only he addressed her by Ru. A broken smile came upon her face but that soon vanished when she realised the reality of the situation.

She turned back to face him to see him still looking down at the salt shaker.

What is so interesting in this salt shaker? She thought

She walked back to the table

"I have to" she said in a low voice.

"Why?" He said still not making eye contact.

"I have many reasons. Don't you remember what happened the last time I didn't?"

"I'm ready to face it all, I can't let you go this time" this time Zaviyaar looked up at Maira. He had tears in his eyes ready to leave. When he heard Maira say all that, he felt bad. He never thought of her perspective. The resentment he had against her vanished in a moment.

Seeing tears in Zaviyaar's eyes broke Maira badly. She never wanted to see tears in Zaviyaar's eyes but she couldn't do what Zaviyaar was saying. They had faced a lot of pain before just because they stayed in that relationship rather than walking out of it. She didn't want to repeat their mistakes.

Maira sat down back on her seat and Zaviyaar's eyes followed her. Zaviyaar leaned a little towards her putting the salt shaker back on the table.

"Zaviyaar we can't go through it all over again. We've faced enough because of it" Maira too, turned soft seeing tears in his eyes.

Zaviyaar rubbed his eyes vigorously then said "We'll do it once again. Think about it, we met here because it was written like this for us" almost sounding desperate

"I can't. Please understand" Maira said. She was seeing him being stubborn again. Zaviyaar leaned back on the chair, put one leg over the other and said

"Is it because of that guy?" He pointed at Hashir.

Maira turned to her left to look at where he's pointing. Once she realised who he is talking about she looked back at Zaviyaar.

"Pagal wagal hogaye ho kiya?" She said angrily, raising her voice.

She looked around anxiously then looked back at Zaviyaar. She picked the fork and started fiddling with the fork's teeth out of nervousness. She kept looking at the fork and said

"I'm engaged now. I'll soon be giving my last semester exams and then after graduation I'll be getting married."

Zaviyaar jaws clenched. His fist tightened. He looked dead staright at Maira without even blinking.

"Are you in it willingly?" Is all he said.

Maira stayed silent. She didn't have an answer. She said yes to the engagement just for her father. She hadn't even ever talked to the guy even after he tried contacting her. All she wanted was her father's acceptance through this engagement.

"Are you happy with it Maira?" He said emphasising on each word. Maira looked up at him only to catch him staring at her with his eyes absolutely red. He was very angry but he didn't blast out at her.

By this time her eyes were getting teary again remembering everything. She gulped and said in an extremely low voice

"It doesn't matter now"