Chapter 29

Maira's POV
I felt hollow with the thought that this might be it for me and Zavi. The way Bhai and Baba kicked him out of the house was painful to watch. I saw some tears in his eyes yet he was smiling at me, How can somone be so selfless?

After he went away I cried myself to sleep. I don't know when I fell asleep to be very honest.

The next morning I woke up by Mama's voice. She was waking me up.
"Maira utho! Tumhara baba tumhe bula rahe hain."

She was just waking me up but the coldness in her tone and body language was something I couldn't ignore. I felt so distant from my own mother. The mother who's like my bestfriend.

As soon as she left the room, tears gathered in the corner of my eyes. I quickly wiped them and went to brush my teeth. After I was done, I went down stairs to Baba's room.

I gathered some courage before twisting the door open. The last time I entered their room was 3 days ago when he got to know. Since then I have gotten silent treatment from him.

I took in a deep breath and entered the room.

"Asalamulaikum, aap ne bulaya baba?" I tried to sound as normal as I could. I tried acting like nothing happened.

"Aj shaam ko achay se tayyar hojana, phuppo tumhe dekhne aarahi hain" He told me without even looking at me. It would be a lie to say it didn't hurt to see my father who only showed love to me all my life, turn away his face to me. But what took me by surprise was his statement. He wanted to marry me off?

"Kyun arahi hain phuppo?" I asked even though I knew what he meant by that.

"Tumne jo harkatein ki hain unko sudharne ke liye. Main jab shaam ko wapis aaoun main tumhe tayyar dekhun" He said, got up and went outside the room.

I looked at my mother helplessly who was looking at the conversation unfolding that took place a few moments ago with my father.

I wanted to cry. How can I marry someone else? That too my cousin whom I've never ever taken as anything other than my cousin. I ran back to my room and cried.

It was around 6 pm. I hadn't eaten anything since the morning so I went to the kitchen to grab something to eat. I heard the door open and the footsteps of baba. If it had been old times, I would've ran to him to hug him but it wasn't like that anymore.This time I felt scared to listen to the same footsteps which once used to bring me happiness and that is just because I broke the the trust they invested in me.

Baba came in the kitchen to drink a glass of water. As soon as he saw me his expressions changed. I could read Baba's eyes since I can remember. It was something my mother would always tell me that I can read his eyes like no one else. And every time I saw his eyes when he looked at me I saw immense love but today there was just disappointment and anger.

"Tayyar hojao, woh loug thori der main aatey hi hongey" He said not looking at me but looking at this glass in his hands.

I never thought Baba would do this to me and it hurt me. I felt as if he has disowned me. I felt like I was a burden on him. No daughter should ever feel this yet here I was feeling every little thing that hurt me.

I couldn't say anything, I just nodded and walked to my room.

I opened my closet to take out my clothes. With no heart I took out a pair of shalwar kameez that was hung. I changed into my clothes, put on the tiniest bit of makeup and just combed my hair. Even though I always loved putting on pretty clothes, makeup and styling my hair, today I felt dead from inside. I didn't want to get ready but I'm meeting them only for Baba. I can't bear this attitude of Baba towards me.

The guests arrived and I was fully ready waiting in my room. Mama told me to stay in here until she comes and gets me.

I was sitting on my bed waiting for Mama when I heard a familiar voice.

"MAIRA! MAIRAA!!"

***********************
Who's voice could this be? I wonder....