Chapter 31

Maira's POV
I saw my father lying on the ground, unconscious. When I went to my father, mama pushed me aside saying that it was my mistake that Baba was in this condition. She probably didn't realise how much her words weigh because her words felt like shards of glass cutting through my heart. I went and sat on the side crying because I was not able to hold back any more. That's when I heard Zaviyaar call out my name. I turned to look at him.

His eyes longed for my answer and at that moment I couldn't see anything else except baba. Baba and Zaviyaar brought me in a position where I had to choose between my love or my family. I knew that if I lost Zaviyaar, I won't ever be able to fall in love with anyone else ever again neither did I want to. And I couldn't leave my family. Baba's words were ringing in my ears too. It was like life brought me at a place where I had to choose between the people whom I love more than myself. Life was being cruel to me and I somehow had to gather courage to face this.

I had to sacrifice my love for Zaviyaar. I turned my face to him, shook my head and said, "Good bye!"

I wish I had a chance to talk to him properly and bid him a proper bye. Let him know how much he meant to me and how he'll remain a part of me no matter what life takes me through.

I saw him leave. My brother was pushing him out and I could tell that Zaviyaar was very angry. He expected me to say yes to his offer I believe but he had to understand that I cannot run away leaving behind my whole family.

I decided to be selfless and sacrifice my love and hurt Zaviyaar rather than being selfish and hurting my family. I knew that if I had gone with him, my parents won't ever be able to cope up with it nor would they be able to forgive me. Somehow I felt that Zaviyaar will deal with it just how I will have to.

I felt extremely guilty for Zaviyaar and my father. I hated myself that very moment.

I saw Umair bhai carrying baba to the car. Ammi followed him in that car while Azlan, me and phuppo's family came in another car.

We reached the hospital and baba was immediately taken to the ER. Later on we were informed that it was a minor cardiac arrest due to very high blood pressure but he was out of danger.

We all met baba after a little while. He still held the same attitude against me. Later on we all went home except mama.

I was lying on my bed in my room thinking that this is the end for me and Zaviyaar. I always thought that some way or the other, destiny will play its role and we'll end up together but I guess I wasn't as lucky as I thought.

I then realised that I will be having my graduation ceremony in August and I'll atleast have chance to see him and meet him. Maybe then I'll have a proper good bye because I cannot afford to revive this relationship.
___________________________

My life was very indisciplined throughout my summer vacations. I tried to move on but I failed to do so because I loved Zaviyaar so much. More than one could even imagine. Baba's recovered quite quickly as well.

Everyone's behaviour towards me was getting better as well. The harshness in their voices cut down over time, we started having conversations like before but my phone and laptop were not given back to me and I didn't complain because if I had my phone with me I would try to message Zaviyaar and we would get caught up in this vicious cycle all over again.

Even though everyone was getting normal with me but I knew that they won't be forgetting this whole incident anytime soon.

Albeit there was a void in me, hollowness. I miss talking to him every night, I miss telling him about my whole day and I miss listening to him ranting about his work, him saying no to my jokes but still listening to it for me. He was perfect but he's not mine.

Today it was my result day. This will be deciding my university. I was sitting in the lounge with the laptop on my lap, the screen showing the website which I kept reloading. My family was gathered around me as well. I was very nervous.

I reloaded it again and it showed my result. I got staright As. Everyone jumped in happiness. I too was very happy but something was missing. I knew what it was but I couldn't do anything about it. I was excited about my result and looking forward to the graduation ceremony which was taking place tomorrow.

At night in honour of my good results we went for a dinner. After we came home I immediately slept. I was very excited for tomorrow. I'll look at him and talk to him after 2 months.

Right now we are on our way to the graduation ceremony. I was one of the high achievers so I was told that I'll be called up on the stage to receive an award.

Before the ceremony started I went to meet Arisha and Mishal. I told them everything that happened and hugged the life out of them. After 2 months I sort of felt a little peace.

I always had stage fright so right now too I was standing backstage waiting for the announcer to call out my name.

I heard my name being called out so I climbed up on the stage and just as I held my award, my eyes fell upon Zaviyaar. He was sitting right in the front row where the couches were set for special guests.

I noticed that his beard had grown out, his hair longer than the last time I saw him. He had sunglasses on so I couldn't see his eyes.

While everyone was clapping for me, he wasn't. That moment I remembered how he used to motivate me to study and how always believed in me.

My eyes were glistening with tears when I got off the stage. I saw him getting up and going somewhere so I followed him.

He was standing with the principal talking about something. I waited for him to get done with them. He glanced at me and rolled his eyes and went way.

That moment my heart was torn in pieces. When I thought that I'll talk to him, he turned his face away from me. I couldn't handle all the feelings and went to the washroom. I went in the stall and just cried. I almost got a panic attack, almost. My breathing got heavy but I calmed myself down. I walked out of the stall and touched up my makeup and went back in the ceremony.

This was it. I guess a good bye wasn't written for us.

I saw him from a far talking to one of the teachers and that is the last I saw him...

************************
Give your feedback! I would love to hear your thoughts about the story!