Chapter 10

One of the guards leads Kie back into the bedroom and closes the door behind her while she sits down on the bed

One of the guards leads Kie back into the bedroom and closes the door behind her while she sits down on the bed. Kie puts her hands in front of her face and breathes heavily, Rafe looks at her and draws his eyebrows together „What happened?" Kie just looks at the ground and keeps quiet causing Rafe to sigh „You're gonna have to talk to me at some point, okay?"

„Do I have to remind you of everything you've done?" Kie doesn't even look at him so a split second and Rafe sighs annoyed.  „You killed Peterkin. Do you remember that?" she looks over at him and shakes her head „And everything you've put Rosa through..."

Rafes body tenses at the mention of Rosa's name so he turns around and takes a few deep breath before he turns back towards Kie „Peterkin, I was protecting my father. Okay?" he stares at her while Kie just shakes her head. „I did what I had to, so... don't" he turns around and sits down on a chair „I'm as much a victim as she is." Kie slowly looks at him with her eyebrows drawn together, Rafe raises his eyebrows at that „No? Think about it. Okay? What did I get from shooting Peterkin, huh?" Kie turns her head away while tears form in her eyes but Rafe continues to stare at her „Nothing. Okay? I had nothing against her. I mean, I... I... I liked her" he stutters „You think I wanted to make that choice, huh? What I did was a gift from me to my father for... for him, and I got screwed because of it, okay? So don't get that look when I say I'm a victim, all right? I am!" he looks at her irritated.

Kie stares at the ground and listens to the birds chirp outside.

"I will admit, though, what I... what I did to Rosalía..." he swallows and stares at the floor in front of him „what I tried to do, um..." he stands up and Kie looks at him while tears roll down his cheeks "what I tried to do to Rosa, I admit that was wrong. I know that. All right?" his voice breaks at this words and also at the thoughts of him hurting her. More and more tears stream down his cheeks „So you don't have to remind me" Rafe sobs and Kie looks at him compassionate.

He turns away from her and holds his hands against his head while he takes deep breaths and tries to calm down. He slightly hits his head with his palms.

„Oh God" Kie whispers and looks away, Rafe turns towards her „She was the love of my life... no she is the love of my life... I should've never touched her, you know? I should've never touched her, but, you know, I just lose control in moments like that" he presses his fists together „and I don't know what happened. I'm trying... I'm trying to get better." Kie nods and looks at the floor „Yeah."

Rafe looks at her „Okay?" he looks away for a few seconds and swallows "It doesn't matter. All I'm saying is just that I'm not the bad guy you think I am, okay?" he walks over to her and stops in front of her, Kie looks up at him since she's still sitting on the bed „But even if I was, even if I was just, like, bad Rafe Cameron or something..." he sniffles „...you got no choice. You may... you may not want to trust me, okay, but I'm your best bet." Kie looks at him and realizes that he's right with what he's saying, she looks away and Rafe sniffles „Look" he squats down in front of her "I got a boat that can get us off island, okay? But first, we gotta get out of here, and it is better if we work together."