Chapter 30

Jose stops the boat at a harbor where the locals are hanging out their laundry or cooking

Jose stops the boat at a harbor where the locals are hanging out their laundry or cooking. Big John is the first to get off, followed by John B, who helps Sarah and then Rosa off the boat."Well, welcome to El Tesoro, Bird" Big John looks briefly at his son before looking at the locals again "We'll hole up here for the night. Move out at first light."

Rosa looks over at Sarah and Ward, who are walking a few meters ahead of them while Big John continues talking "Somewhere up there is the dig site and El Dorado" the three of them look at a mountain in the distance "With that letter and this gnomon, I think we got a shot, you and me" he looks at his son, who nods slowly "And Sarah, Dad."

"She ain't done the deep dive like we have" Big John shakes his head "And I don't trust anyone with the last name of Cameron. You think Ward just showed up on his own?" he looks at John B, who just stares at the floor. Rosa sighs softly causing Big John to look at her for a moment before looking back at John B "Just you and me and Rosa" he adds, John B looks at his father who nods and then turns to Rosa to smile at her. Rosa looks at him in surprise but also smiles slowly, Big John puts his hand on her shoulder "Sorry for acting like that towards you." Rosa smiles "It's ok" she's just happy to have her second dad back. John B smiles a little at Rosa.

Rosa sits on a dock and watches as a crocodile swims back and forth in front of the dock. She sighs and thinks about where JJ is right now. What he's doing. What he was doing. What happened between him and Kie. Whether he's thinking about her too. If he's worried about her as much as she is.

"Hey," Sarah's voice snaps Rosa out of her thoughts. She looks up at her best friend, who slowly sits down next to her. "Are you okay?" Sarah looks at her questioningly, causing Rosa to take a deep breath "My cell phone is empty. I don't want to know how worried my parents are about me again..." Sarah looks at her and puts a hand on Rosa's thigh "Is that all that's bothering you?" she asks carefully, knowing that this is not the main problem.

Rosa looks at her "Do you think..." she closes her eyes for a moment "Do you think something happened between JJ and Kie?" Sarah looks at her for a moment before also watching the crocodile "No" she then assures her best friend "I don't think anything happened between them. You know, you don't see how JJ watches you when you're smiling or doing ballet or just sitting in the sun. You don't see it but we see it. Kie sees it. We see how he loves you with every cell in his body. How he wants to protect you from everything" Sarah turns to her and takes her hands "JJ wants the best for you. JJ is not Rafe. You must never forget that." Rosa looks at her as tears form in her eyes and Sarah takes her in her arms "Not every man in this world wants to hurt you" she whispers "You have to trust him okay? I know it's hard for you after your first relationship, which was really really fucked up... but JJ would never do the things to you that Rafe did..."

Sarah strokes Rosa's back as she cries and clings to her best friend. Sarah's gaze wanders to John B, who looks at her questioningly, which is why Sarah waves it off and smiles slightly. "Thanks S..." says Rosa before pulling away from her and wiping away the tears "do you think these people here have phones?" Sarah laughs "I don't think so. But maybe Jose?" Rosa grins a little and nods wistfully "I'll ask him..." Sarah nods "Yes. Love you" she looks at Rosa, who turns around again "Love you too."