Prologue

Flames burned a brilliant scarlet, whisking like whips as a black sky stretched overhead. Smoke billowed, roaring under the night heat. Ashes and sparks drifted, fluttering like insects in the breeze. The air was hot and dry, three of the five moons glowing through the haze.

And screams echoed.

"Water! We need water!" Jonas yelled, his voice breaking from the strain.

"Are you mad?" the old man, Pete snapped. "We can't do that!"

"But they're in there dying!" Desperation filled Jonas's voice as he stood, staring at the burning house. Screams continued to ring, acting as the chorus to the burning inferno that raged. He looked at the old man. "Pete, they're dying!"

"And if we pull from the reserve, then we're all dead!" Pete barked. The fire cracked and popped, reflecting in his icy blue eyes, bronzing his wrinkled skin. His brow was furrowed and his stance solid, then he inhaled, dropping his shoulders. "You know as well as I do that if we pulled from the water we have, we'd all be pushin' ourselves closer to the grave. I'm sorry, Jonas. If our plant was working, then you know I wouldn't think twice about it."

Jonas swallowed, glancing between the old man and the flames. They stretched tall, casting light on the sandy ground as they threw heat against his damp skin. Slowly, the screams grew quieter and quieter, falling to low muffles before dissipating altogether, and Jonas knew they were gone.

"Damn it," said Jonas through gritted teeth.

"I'm sorry for your loss." Pete placed a leathery hand on Jonas's shoulder. The skin was scarred and wrinkled. Just like the rest of Pete. "I know how much they meant to you. The Belles... They were good people."

Jonas flexed his jaw, watching the flames flicker. "We just stood there...watching them as they died. We didn't do anything. Not a goddamn thing."

"There was nothing we could do."

"But..."

A section of the house collapsed, echoing like thunder as the fire hissed and growled. Neither men winced, but watched, the red and orange hues cast on their faces bending and moving, almost dancing with the shadows. Then Jonas spoke softly.

"We're just gonna let it burn?"

"Until it dies out, yeah." Pete shifted, hobbling to a nearby boulder, then sat. "We gotta keep tabs on it. Gotta make sure those little embers don't go sparkin' a new fire elsewhere."

"Yeah. Yeah, you're right."

But deep down, Jonas knew it would be hours - maybe even the whole night - before the flames would tamper off. Both he and Pete would be held up there, forced to watch every flicker as he replayed the screams over and over in his head. And he shuddered.

Why them? Why their house? They were all in there, probably about to go off to bed, but now they were gone. Only the memory of their cries rang out.

"It's going to be a long night," Pete said with a heavy sigh.

"Yeah."

Pete observed Jonas, watching him with sharp eyes. "Ya sure you wanna hang around?"

"Yeah."

"You're on the run though, aren't ya?"

"It's the least I can do."

Jonas sat, lowering himself on the sand. The heat from the fire was unbearably hot, even from the distance placed between him and the house. Sweat clung to his brow and rolled down his face as hoarse breaths rolled through his lips.

He fidgeted, tugging at a strand of skin at the side of his finger, biting back the emotions swirling through his head. The shock - he had just seen Elana three hours ago. She had been smiling and happy, even joking with him. And Mosby had been jovial, happily drunk. And the kids... God, the kids.

He squeezed his eyes closed, not wanting to imagine their faces. Their small, round faces. Trevor, Daphne, and Leilani. All so young, not even ten yet. None of them. And suddenly, just like that, they were all gone. Snatched away by hell's fire.

Another section of the house collapsed, snapping through the otherwise quiet night, sending tiny embers scattering through the air. Both men sat, unmoved, watching the blaze dance. Whipping and roaring, and Jonas exhaled heavily.

Had the fire followed him all this way?

**Ello, ello lovelies! So, that prologue, eh? Lol yeah. Don't worry, more will be revealed as the story unfolds! Hope y'all are ready. That all said, hopefully, this little prologue caught your interest. If so, I will see ya in chapter one! Thank you so, so much for all the love and support! Y'all are the bee's knees! Wuv yous!! <3**

-Noel Ross