Chapter 15: What Wasn't

Kanyon

~3 Days Later~

The bruise is still an ugly, unsightly thing that stretches down to my hip from my upper ribs, pulsing a nasty purplish gray with a greenish undertone. It still throbs, stinging with tenderness and aches, especially if I move too quickly, but the stiffness is loosening up. Almost as if the muscles are finally starting to release their grips.

Before long, it'll fade away and all the discomfort will dissolve with it. Eventually. Hopefully, soon.

And then, my eyes flutter to the scar. It's old, almost faded to a creamy white that is keen against my tanned tone. The skin is jagged and uneven in some areas, puffy with past rage. It stretches from the left side of my upper ribs – leaving part of it painted by the bruise – and claws its way all the way to my right hip.

My fingertips run along its unevenness. It tingles as the warmth of my abdomen brushes my fingers. And then, I squeeze my eyes closed and drop my arms, turning.

Slowly, I start to gather my clothes, carefully stepping into them as my damp hair clings to the nape of my neck. The humidity in the air from the shower still lingers, making my skin sticky as steam covers the mirror.

Once dressed, I make my way out into mine and Meryl's room, the air cool and breezing by me. Meryl hears me and looks up, flashing a kind smile.

"Feel better?"

"After a shower? Always."

Steadily, I make my way to my bed and take a seat, the mattress creaking as her eyes remain trained on me. By this point, I've grown to ignore her constant observations, aware that it is her way of helping. Though annoying, I do understand.

She watches me a beat longer, then stands, smiling, "Roberto, Wolfwood, and I are going into town."

"Again?" I ask, lifting a brow. "Didn't you lot just go a few days ago?"

"That was more out of boredom," she answers, fixing her clothes. "This is to get food. We'll probably go to the market and then maybe stop somewhere to get dinner. Vash already requested more donuts – shocker."

His name. My throat goes dry hearing it. It feels like a feather gliding through my ears, sending shivers down my spine. But Meryl must not notice.

"But anyway, if there's anything in particular you want, we can stop and get it." She looks at me, still smiling. "Any special requests?"

I stop, pulling myself from my thoughts as I reply, "Oh, uh... Honestly, how about you just surprise me? I can't really think of anything off the top of my head. Sorry."

I try to flash the most convincing smile, but deep down, I'm still fixated on him.

Vash. It's been three days since...whatever that was, and over the span of these three days I have barely seen him, which is strange. Usually, I can't shake him or Meryl away, but for these last few days, he has been nowhere in sight. Which leaves me to believe he is avoiding me.

Is he avoiding me? Maybe. And honestly, I don't think I blame him. After all, what happened...what didn't happen was something so strange and weird and...

I suck my bottom lip in and chew it. We were about to kiss. The two of us, him and me... We almost –

"It's okay," Meryl says. "I'm sure I'll find you something. Well, I'm gonna head out." She points at me, shooting a sharp look. "Oh, and while we're gone, no overdoing it! Vash told me about your last little endeavor."

Ah. Yes. When he found me on the lobby floor a few days ago. I figured he would have told her. I'm honestly surprised it took her this long to bring it up.

"Don't worry," I say, readjusting myself on my bed. "I'm not planning on going anywhere."

She studies me for a few seconds, then inhales deeply. "Well, alright. That's a relief to hear. I was worried you were going to overdo it again."

"Nope. Not this time."

"Well...good." She collects her bag and heads to the door, glimpsing back one more time. "We'll be back in about an hour or so. If you need something, Vash should be in his room next door. Don't be afraid to call for him."

There it is again. There's his fucking name again.

"I will. Thank you, Meryl."

"No problem. See ya in a bit."

With that she finally leaves, closing the door behind her, and the room is plunged into silence. The quietude seeps in.

I lay, outstretched and relaxed on my mattress, looking up at the ceiling, recalling the events from three days ago and wondering if maybe – just maybe – Vash has thought about them too.

**Bello my wonderful lovelies! I'm not even gonna lie. I am not 100% happy with this chapter, but it is a filler that will hopefully help propel us into the next scene. Hopefully. So, I apologize that this was random and slow. Hopefully, things pick up. So, when this chapter goes up (hopefully, 02/05/2024 if everything goes according to plan) I should either be on my way to my birthday vacation, or already there. But that's only if everything goes according to plan. If not, it'll go up next Monday (02/12/2024). I'll find out when I cross that bridge. You guessed it. At the time of typing, it's only 09/19/2023, so I have a while. That said, I did get hurt today at work. That was fun. Not really, but eh. Anyway, enough rambling. Thank y'all so, so much for everything! Y'all are the bestest! Wuv yous!! <3**

-Noel Ross