Chapter 32: Leilani Belle

Vash

Sometimes...

Sometimes I have nightmares. Nightmares that I wake from in the middle of the night, sweat clingy to my brow as my chest heaves. Nightmares with ghosts and the haunting memories of their voices calling my name. Nightmares that were dreams once upon a time ago. A long time ago.

Nightmares of shooting stars made of ship debris falling from the sky. Nightmares of screaming sirens and pounding feet and flashing red lights. Nightmares of tears rolling down her cheeks and the way fire consumed her as she sent us away.

And then nightmares of him laughing as hell rain down around us.

I wonder if she has nightmares, too. Painful memories so embedded in her soul that she sees them when she sleeps. I know the rage is there. She might not express it wholly, but when she spoke earlier, I saw it ignite in her eyes. It was just as bright and wicked as the flames I watched rain down all those many, many years ago. An anger and resentment like no other.

I sigh, running my fingers through my hair.

Nai. He has hurt so many people and caused so much pain. How many families has he destroyed? How many lives has he taken or displaced? How much destruction has he left in his wake?

So much.

Too much.

And far too many.

"Figures. Of course, I'd find you out here."

A gruff voice rolls through the air. It is one that I have heard many times, and one I know well. I don't even need to turn to see him, but I do anyway.

Wolfwood is walking toward me, taking long strides as he keeps his hands shoved in his pockets. His posture is casual and relaxed, his shoulders slump as he keeps his dark gaze fixated on me. His lips are pressed in a flat line with a crooked cigarette resting between them, unlit.

He reaches where I am and stops, the wind blowing his dark locks as he faces me. He scans me, then: "That said, when I was out here earlier, I didn't see ya. Care to share?"

I fidget with my fingers, then turn back to Penton.

It has been hours since the rooftop confession from Kanyon, and almost just as long since I walked her back to her and Meryl's shared room. It had been a long and silent walk, and I think she sensed my unease, but much like me, she didn't dare to disrupt that.

But since then, the sky has cleared, the storm evaporating as it made way for the evening suns to set. The sky is a warm bronze, dusted by a soft pink as flying worms soar above and Penton's streets spring to life. In the next hour or so, the city will be plunged into darkness and the night will prowl.

And yet, there is still thunder rumbling in my head.

I inhale, then reply, "I was...close by."

"Close by, eh?" he repeats quizzically. I can feel his gaze linger on me. "I would hope so. Shortie would have an aneurysm if you left this hotel. Though, I do think it would be hilarious to see her spazz out."

I don't say anything.

He reaches over, slapping my back as he chuckles, "Lighten up, Blondie. You're way too serious sometimes. That said, what has you so pissy now, anyway? You were all sunshine and rainbows earlier. What happened?" His tone lowers to a taunting whisper. "Did something happen between you and Gimpy?"