Chapter 21: Plunge

Kanyon

~2 Days Later~

"Fucking hell. Another one?"

Jonas's voice was gruff, his thick brows furrowed as his mossy eyes looked at me, then fell to my outstretched hand. He took it into his, lifting it so that he was looking at my palm. It stung as he moved and flexed my fingers.

"What did you do this time?" he asked, glimpsing at me. "Were you doing something you weren't supposed to?"

"No!" I snapped, glaring at him.

"Sorry, Jonas," Rosa's voice said, coming from behind me.

I turned, watching as she walked closer. Her hair was long and shiny, pulled into a ponytail as her dress clung to her. She was freshly sixteen and flushed by the suns' light.

"I was showing her how to dice the vegetables for her omelet when she accidentally cut her palm," she continued, stopping at my side.

Jonas studied Rosa for a moment, then glanced between us before settling on my hand. A small smile twitched his lips as he chuckled.

"That's alright. Accidents happen. Though, knowing this one, I'm sure she was clowning around and not paying attention."

"Was not!" I glowered at him.

Rosa shook her head. "No, not at all. She was a perfect angel."

I smiled smugly, lifting my chin as Rosa praised me, though Jonas only chuckled. He twisted in his seat and grabbed a clean napkin, then dipped it in the cup in front of him, then pressed it against the cut.

I winced, hissing as he held my hand firmly. His tone was low and even as he spoke. "Hold still. I gotta clean it so it doesn't get infected." He turned, calling over his shoulder. "Hey, Tuck, can I get another whiskey?"

"Sure thing!" Rosa's father replied.

Jonas continued to clean and press the damp napkin against my palm, shaking his head. "Wasting a perfectly good drink on this." He glimpsed at me. "Ya gotta be more careful."

"I was being careful."

"Clearly not enough." He twisted, adding more alcohol onto the cloth, then pressed it back against my skin. I whimpered as he continued, "This time, it was your palm, but what if you had chopped your finger off? What then?"

"I wouldn't have chopped my finger off."

"No? You could have. It can happen."

"But it didn't."

"But it could have." His tone was low and deep, humming from somewhere in his chest. His eyes were on mine, his brows furrowed. I shrank. He sighed, "I'm just trying to look out for ya, kid. I'm just...trying to make sure you're safe."

His words rolled through my ears, but at the time, they didn't register. Not fully. I didn't understand what had him so worried. Was there even anything to worry about? There was, I just didn't understand.

"I'm sorry," I finally said, feeling small.

Jonas inhaled through his nose, then sighed, "It's alright. I just gotta keep reminding myself that you're young and, just like your mother, stubborn as hell." A small smile quirked his lips. "And much like your mom, you heal fast. There. All clean." He turned, glancing between Rosa and me. "You two be careful, okay? No more cuts."

***

My eyes flutter open as the golden gleam of morning trickles in, running over my face. I wince, then turn, watching as Meryl steps into her shoes, and then grabs her bag.

I knit my brows and yawn, "Good morning."

I must startle her because she jumps and turns, holding her hand to her chest, but she quickly regathers herself, laughing, "Oh, good morning. Sorry. Did I wake you?"

I start to sit up, shaking my head as I rub the sleep from my eyes. "No. Though, are you going somewhere?"

"Yeah," she sighs. "The satellite jeep's battery is having trouble charging, so Roberto and I are going to take it to a nearby repair shop."

Those words sink in, and it takes every part of me not to jerk – not to express my concern. Because if the battery is struggling to charge, then that could prolong our stay here in Penton. And the longer we are here in Penton the further and further I get away from my goal. From catching Millions Knives.

"The battery is acting up?" I ask, trying to keep my tone steady and level.

She nods, "Yeah, but hopefully, they can fix or replace it." She looks at me, readjusting how her bag hangs on her shoulder. "And hopefully, it won't cost an arm and a leg. Fingers crossed."

"Yeah. Fingers crossed."

Fingers crossed because I don't want to be here even longer.

She smiles, "We'll be back in a bit. Will you be okay here?"

"Oh, yeah, I'll be fine."

"Great. If you need anything, Vash and Wolfwood are in their room. Don't hesitate to give one of them a holler, okay?"

"Right. Good luck with the battery."

"Thanks. Well, I'll see ya when I get back."

At that, she walks out the door, closing it behind her and I sit, suddenly feeling his name roll over and over through my mind.

Vash.

It's been two days since we did what we did, and ever since then, things have felt...different. Almost as if this electrical energy fills the air whenever we're in the same room. Simmering and zapping like some white-hot force, even when we're not within reach of each other.

Then, there's always the way he looks at me. With deep, treacherous eyes that look so... Not hungry, per se, but definitely as though there are certain thoughts crossing his mind. Thoughts that make me squeeze my thighs as shivers run the length of my spine.

And then again, maybe it's all in my imagination. After all, what we did, it was nothing. It was simply a single moment ignited by lust and opportunity.

But even as I toss back my blankets and drop my feet to the carpeted floor, I can't help but remember how it felt to feel him. To have his fingers caress my skin as he peppered kisses over me. To have his body pressed against mine, burning me with his lust as he tasted me. To have him in me, surrounding me with everything that is him.

I bite my bottom lip and shake my head, shoving those thoughts away.

No. It was a single moment. That is all. There is nothing else. But even as I tell myself, I can't help but feel the way my lips tingle, missing his.

**Hello, lovelies. Firstly, let me apologize about this chapter. I haven't touched my laptop since 10/03/2023 (it is currently 10/15/2023 as of typing), and that is because on 10/05/2023, I received some very sad news about a close friend. Because of that, I took a break from writing. However, I felt it was time to get back to it, though I'd be lying if I said I'm back to 100% – I apologize for that. What happened was very sudden and very unexpected, needless to say. Don't worry. I will be fine. I'll get better. Just, please bear with me as I try to regain my creativity – I'm working on it. As always – and truly – thank you so much for all your support. I hope you all continue to shine and be the brilliant stars you are. Don't ever let anyone dim your shine! Remember that. Wuv yous. <3**

-Noel Ross