Chapter 11: Dumb Decisions

Kanyon

~1 Week Later~

The two suns burn brightly overhead, making the air dry as flying worms flutter on the breeze. A long stretch of shadows is cast by the buildings, skittering along the dust and stone pavement.

I'm seated on the patio, tucked under an umbrella as I watch Penton's people walk and make their way down the streets. They're all in their own little worlds, each left to themselves. I doubt any of them even know I'm watching, which is fine.

At this point, I just needed to get away from the Stampede.

They're driving me insane, the whole lot of them. Meryl is constantly pestering me, watching and coddling me as if I'm a child. Roberto is – begrudgingly under Meryl's orders – doing the same, always keeping a watchful eye on me. Then there's Vash, who always looks and acts as if the smallest thing will break me, which is always irritating. And Nicholas... Well, he doesn't hover. He's just Nicholas. That's his biggest problem.

Still, it's been a whole week of this, and I needed to step away and hide. At least, for a little.

Which raises the question: how the hell am I supposed to survive a month of this? I've barely kept it together for the last week. There's no way I can stomach this for another three weeks. And God forbid if I need even longer to recover. I'll end up snapping and maybe even strangling someone.

I close my eyes, letting the heat surround me as the sounds of passing people talking fill the air, and then a soft voice says my name.

I sit up, watching as Meryl approaches, a warm smile lifting the corners of her lips, and for a moment, my heart sinks. God...she's here to pester me again, isn't she? But I swallow that down and try not to express my irritation as I flash my own fake smile.

"Meryl, hey. What brings you out here?"

She finally reaches where I am, replying, "Hey. Wolfwood, Roberto, and I are heading into town to pick up a few things. Is there anything we can get you while we're out?"

I think about it for a moment, then shake my head. "Mmm. Nope. Thanks, though." I knit my brows, meeting her dark gaze directly. "You, Nicholas, and Roberto? What about Vash? Is he not going with you all?"

"No. We all decided it best he stays here, what with the bounty and all. Plus, this way he can help you if you need it."

And there it is. The reminder that I am currently – in their eyes – incapable. But my focus lingers there only briefly, instead gripping onto what else she said.

"He's staying here because of the bounty? I don't know if you're aware of this, but if someone wanted to collect that bounty, they could. I'm sure several people have noticed him by now puttering around the hotel grounds."

"You're not wrong," she agrees. "That's why we're limiting how much time he spends outside, now."

I lift a brow. "A little late to make that call, don't ya think?"

"Maybe. But hopefully, the less he's seen, the more they'll think he moved on to the next town."

Ah. They want to trick anyone who might be onto them. Maybe even play their own little illusion on the citizens. It's not a horrible call, but to be honest, if that was a worry, they should have been laying low the whole time. But I guess it's better late than never.

"Are you sure we can't get you anything?" she presses. "Vash asked for donuts. We can get you some, too."

I shake my head. "Thanks, but no. You all are already doing so much for me." Like suffocating me.