Chapter 29: Rooftop Pt 1

Kanyon

His palm feels so warm, and his touch is so gentle. Just as soft as every other time he's ever touched me, and it leaves my heart sputtering.

We are walking, him guiding me as his hand encases mine, occasionally glimpsing back and smiling. The golden glow of the hotel's halls along with the dim light filtering in through the windows casts a halo around him, and he appears angelic because of it. But I guess he always looks that way.

We are on the top level of the hotel, walking a long corridor lined with closed doors and humming sconces. Long rugs with abstract designs lay rolled out, covering most of the hardwood.

I've followed him this whole time, unaware of where it is he's taking me, but the further we grow from our level, the more confused I become.

"Vash," I whisper, "where are we going?"

He glances back at me, smiling, "You'll see. It's a surprise."

I knit my brows but continue to follow him until we come to a door that is different from all the others. It is tall and made of what looks to be some kind of heavy metal with the words CERTIFIED PERSONEL ONLY glowing red above it. Vash turns the knob and pulls it open, revealing another set of stairs that go up, but I freeze, and stop immediately.

"Uh, I don't think we're allowed up there," I say, keeping my eyes fixated on the sign.

He turns, still flashing that gentle smile. "You're right. We're not."

My mouth pops open. "And you're trying to take me up there why?"

He squeezes my hand reassuringly and leans closer. "Trust me. It's worth it."

I knit my brows and glance between him and the stairwell. It looks as if it's some kind of utility staircase. One that is definitely not open to the public and leads up to another door.

I hesitate, nervous to even be this close to this area. There's no saying what'll happen if we get caught. It could be as minor as a smack on the wrist lecture, or as major as us getting kicked out of the hotel altogether. And if that happened... Well, I'm sure the others wouldn't be too happy.

Vash must take note of my hesitation because he comes closer, his deep eyes boring into mine as he whispers, "It'll be fine. Trust me. I wouldn't take you anywhere that was risky or unsafe."

As he says this, I can't help but look up and meet his stare. It is so deep and vast – I have known that. I have seen and witnessed that so many times. But along with that, I see his sincerity. Deep down, I already knew that he wouldn't lead me anywhere unsafe, but hearing and being reassured of this leaves my heart fluttering.

"Okay," I nod, tightening my hold. "I trust you."

He smiles and turns, guiding me up the stairs, the door clicking closed behind us. We make our way, and he opens the next door. Immediately, a warm gust of wind breezes by, whisking my hair and dress as a grumble of thunder trembles the ground. It vibrates my chest, filling parts of me with excitement, but it doesn't stop there.

Vash squeezes my hand, motioning for me to follow. "This way. It's right over here."

"What is?" I ask, laughing as we jog.

"You'll see."

We scamper across the hotel's roof as the song of thunder continues to echo. My heart sputters as the heat from his hand engulfs me. I don't know where we're going or what we're doing, but I continue to follow him, blindly, but faithfully until we come to another structure.

It is small – no bigger than a shed – constructed of glass and stone, situated near the hotel's edge. It overlooks the west side of Penton, and beyond at the open desert with its rolling mounds. All of which is a beautiful sight.