Chapter 7: The Web

Kanyon

Sleep does not come easily.

In fact, it doesn't even flirt with me. While Meryl sleeps soundly, soft snores rolling through her lips, I lay, unable to drift. Unable to get comfortable. Unable to stop thinking. Just unable.

So, quietly and stealthily, I throw back the blankets and stifle any whimpers as I slowly climb to my feet. My side screams, the muscles twitching and aching with the searing pains I know are my broken ribs protesting. Still, I manage to step into my shoes and pull on my overcoat, then slip out the door.

In the hall, sconces line the walls, casting warm golden glows across the smooth surfaces as the electricity buzzes from one or two of them. And aside from that and the stretch of doors, there is nothing else. Not really.

Cringing and wincing, I make my way down it and into the lobby. There, a single circular desk with two women stand. They talk quietly amongst themselves and only pause briefly when they see me. When I don't approach, they return to their conversation.

That's okay. I don't really need anything from them, and nor do I really feel like chatting with strangers. So, I press on, trying to carry myself the best I can, all the while, my ribs remind me of my stupidity. This hurts. It doesn't feel good. And I almost wish I had just stayed in bed, but my mind is too awake, firing off thoughts at rapid speed. And I can't sleep. Not with that.

Eventually, I find my way back outside on the back patio where we had eaten earlier. A long stretch of blackness lays before me, the stars above twinkling as the five moons all glow. A few streetlamps cast pools of light on the ground, helping to cut through the darkness.

And standing there in the night, leaning against the patio railing with light flickering down on him, is Vash.

His stare is trained on the cloudless sky, the dull breeze whisking strands of his honeyed hair. His expression – from what I can tell – is smooth and content, with no true emotions being shown. Not through the veil of night. Not that I can really see.

And at first, he doesn't seem to notice me. That is until I accidentally bump into a chair, causing its feet to scrape against the stone, and me to stumble.

He turns, just as I gasp, reaching for my side, and hurries to me. He manages to catch me, and then help to steady me on my feet as the twitching of my muscles twists my expression. I tremble, his warm body pressed against mine.

"Kanyon? What are you doing out here? Are you okay?" He scans me, his expression sporting concern. "You're quivering. Here, sit down."

He pulls over the chair I tripped over and helps me into it, then pulls his red jacket off and places it around my shoulders. It feels warm, the residuals of his body heat embracing me as his lingering scent drifts up to my nose. It smells – to my surprise – nice. Like a campfire and baked bread. And something sharp, but pleasant. I like it. I frown.

"Won't you get cold?" My voice is strained, my lungs and throat not yet recouped from the stumble.

He smiles down at me. "I'll be fine. What about you, though? Are you okay?"

"I'll be fine. It just knocked the wind out of me a bit."

Another breeze blows gently, once again ruffling his hair. In this dull light, I can see how his eyes are trained on me, perhaps searching for any lies. Almost as if he's digging for some truth I didn't know I had. But then again, maybe not.

Feeling small, I glimpse at the moons, asking, "So, you couldn't sleep either, I'll take it?"

He observes me for a few more seconds, then inhales and turns. "Not really."

"Why's that? Do you have trouble falling asleep in new places?"

He chuckles, shaking his head. "No. Not usually. I'm pretty good at sleeping like a baby anywhere I place my head."

"Just not tonight, then?"

There's another brief pause, then: "Yeah. Just not tonight." He faces me, flashing another smile. "I guess tonight my thoughts are just too loud. Ya know?"

And there's that smile. Hollow and empty, void of any true emotion. Almost like a mask painted on. But why? Why project this happy demeanor if he isn't? Why fake it? And why isn't he happy? What has him in this tango, keeping him from genuinely smiling?

And why can't he escape it?

I avert my eyes, looking at the milky orbs in the sky. I feel small under the great, wide vastness of it all. Just a single speck spinning on this godforsaken planet.

"I can't sleep either," I say, wrapping my arms around myself. "My thoughts are too loud too, but I'm also more of a night person, anyway. If I had it my way, I'd be up all night and sleep all day, but unfortunately, I can't do that."

"Why can't you?"

I know why I can't. Because it's too dangerous to travel at night. Bandits, gangs, worms, and other things that go bump in the night. If the Bad Lads did what they did to me in broad light, then I'd be chewed and spat back out during the night.

I shrug, "Easier to travel during the day."

"I guess that's a fair answer." He stands, looking at the sky, then turning to me. "So, you're really going to July, too?"

"Yeah. I have some business to handle there." Keep the reply simple and repeated. I look up at him. "And you have family there. A brother, right?"

He nods, "Yeah. Nai."

"Nai? That's a unique name."

"Yeah," he chuckles, scratching the back of his neck. "Then again, so is Vash."

"Ya know, that's true. I guess you two have some creative parents."

Just then, his face falls, his lips creeping into the smallest and most broken of smiles as his eyes drift to the pavement. He doesn't say anything at first, but I can feel it. It radiates from him like electricity. The sadness and brokenness. Whatever happened between him, and his brother must – at least – partially revolve around their parents. Maybe a disagreement or shattered relationship that was created by favoritism.

In the end, I don't know, and I can't really relate. Not to whatever has him so down. But before I can say anything else, he speaks, his voice gentle and soft.

"Yeah. We did."

Did. Past tense. Well, that could explain some of the despair right there. The loss of one's parents can leave a bitter taste in someone's heart. That I do understand. More than I care to admit. But once again, before I have a chance to say anything, he continues.

"That said, it's probably best if we all just wait here in Penton until you're all healed up." He turns, pointing at my pitiful self. "Traveling right now would probably cause more harm than good."

But I don't like this suggestion. I puff my cheeks, protesting, "Shouldn't that be my call? I think I can handle it."

There's that stupid smile again, lifting the corners of his lips. "Maybe, but I really rather not test fate."

I want to argue against this. To fight his little decision, but I stop, finding myself once again caught on that broken smile. The sadness in it pulls at my chest, causing a twinge to tug me.

Why? Why is it so sad? And why does it keep gripping my heart? I shouldn't even care. And yet, I keep getting caught, just like a butterfly in a web. I flutter and flutter my wings, but no matter how hard I flutter, I can't escape.

And that web is his sadness.

**Ello lovelies! Well, there wasn't a whole lot in this chapter, but it was a moment between Vash and Kanyon. They chatted a bit, and Kanyon is aware that she keeps getting sucked into Vash's sad smile. As she described it, it's like a web. Interesting comparison, eh? Things will eventually get more interesting. Just give it time. We will get there. But that'll do for today. Until the next one, thank y'all so much for all the love and support! Wuv yous!! <3**

-Noel Ross