Chapter 1: Following His Trail

Kanyon

It's not him.

It's never him. No matter the bounty. No matter the reward. No matter the crime or tragedy. It is never him on any of those posters.

That said, six-billion double-dollars is an awfully hefty price to have on a wanted man's head. I can't help but wonder what the hell someone has to do to get that kind of bounty. Obviously, some really fucked up shit. Maybe even acts of terrorism or mass murder. Perhaps genocide.

Whatever he did, it must have been really bad. But no matter how horrible his crimes are, the face printed on that page is not the man I'm after.

So, I sigh and turn, and walk away. The wind blows, hot as usual, dusting sand into my eyes and nose. The air is dry, filling my lungs with fire as I mount my tomas and ride.

All this time. I've been traveling all this time, searching and looking for him, and no matter where I go, I can never find a single trace of him. It's as if he's a ghost, haunting only my mind and memories. Toying with and tricking me, but I know he's real. I had seen him. I saw what he did.

I watched him kill my family, and I want to know why.

The heavy steps of my tomas's feet dig into the sand as we run, the suns each burning brightly overhead. Of all the planets mankind could choose to colonize, why this hellscape? It's so unbearably hot and stagnant. And the worms. Don't even get me started on the worms.

I sigh heavily. What I wouldn't give for a nice, long shower right about now. To feel the water bead against my skin and wash all the sand and sweat away. To feel clean again. Maybe I should find a hotel in the next town and get a room, then I can clean and rest up before I head out again.

Maybe I should -

Jeneora Rock. Hmm. It's one of the smaller towns. Not quite a No Man's Land, but also no July. I've been here many times before several years ago. If memory serves me correctly, they have a plant, which means they have clean water, and clean water means a shower. And I want that shower.

I steer my tomas, directing her into the town. It looks different from my last visit. While it's never been a place to write home about, it at least had a sense of some stability. However, as I make my way through the little town, it is in shambles. Destruction lies outstretched, littering the ground with debris and sorrow. What the hell happened here?

At the inn - or what remains of it - I dismount my tomas and make my way in, shaking the sand from myself. Inside, several people sit, all crowded around multiple tables as a woman - heavily pregnant, by the looks of it - stands behind the counter, wiping a glass. Her eyes fall on me, looking me up and down when she speaks.

"Haven't seen you around here before. You new?"

"Just passing through," I reply, pulling my hood down, and making my way to the counter. "Was hoping I could get some food and a room. Are there any openings?"

She observes me, her eyes searching with bewilderment - or concentration, I can't tell which - when a certain light fills her stare. "Wait a minute. Kanyon? Kanyon, is that you?"

I tilt my posture. "Yes?" Now, I observe her, trying to piece together who she is when she smiles.

"Wow! You've grown so much! I haven't seen you since you were this tall!" She holds her hand to just where I can see her round belly merge with her bosom, then motions at herself. "It's me, Rosa!"

The name swirls around in my head for several beats when it clicks, and my eyes widen. "Rosa! Oh, my God! Hey! Wow! It's been so long! How are you?"

"As good as I can be," she chuckles, though sadly. She reaches, pulling out a clean glass and dish. "Took over running the inn after my dad died last year. What'll you have? Do you still like omelets?"