Chapter 31: The Truth

Kanyon

I blink a few time, clearing the dizziness from my vision and turn to him. The eerie glow of the stormy sky creeps in through the open window, illuminating his sweat-glossed skin, contouring the flexing of his muscles. His cheeks are flushed, and his eyes are squeezed closed, his breaths rolling hoarsely through his swollen lips.

He is like a work of art. So beautiful and broken with his mysterious wounds. Stories that I have felt, but do not know. Stories I have kissed but did not witness. Stories that drew my intrigue but have not been shared. I wish to know them – to understand this Vash the Stampede character because the monster people have described does not match the man I see.

His touch. His kisses. The way he holds me. None of it matches anything I have heard. He is so gentle and kind, and his past is shrouded in mystery. It is like a tragedy, but a beautiful one.

I go to reach out and touch him but stop. I don't know why. Not at first, but then our earlier conversation comes back, and I recall what he had said.

"You keep me locked out."

Those words sting. Why? Why do they sting? Why do they hurt? And why did it hurt to see the look in his eyes when he said it? They had been round and bright, the light in them like glass.

A twinge pulls at my chest, and I turn to my side, my gaze falling on him wholly. Right now, his breathing is steadying, and his expression is content. Nothing like earlier, but I still can't shake that from my head.

He must sense my staring because his eyes flutter open, falling on me. He searches me, his expression becoming unreadable, then soft.

"Is there something on my face?" he chuckles. His voice is coarse and rough, sending chills scattering through me.

I smile, shaking my head. "No. I'm just...thinking is all."

He knits his brows. "Thinking? What are you thinking about? Or am I better off not asking?"

His stare is soft and warm, taking me into this secure place that feels safe. There is a sense of safety that emanates from him. One that I have noticed for a while now but chose to overlook.

Why did I do that?

I reach over, running my fingertips along his skin. Just as expected, he is hot and solid, reminding me of every time we've touched. He studies me, remaining quiet for a moment, but I can tell he wants to say something – that he wants to break the quietude. I beat him to it.

"I was thinking about something you said earlier."

He blinks. "Oh...well, I said a lot of things earlier. Care to elaborate on which time?"

I smile, bringing my hand to the cage over his heart, then I return my stare to his. "About how I keep you locked out."

His features soften, his eyes falling to the side briefly before returning to me. "Listen...I had no place saying that. I was thinking out loud, but I should have kept my thoughts to myself. It wasn't my place to say that. I'm sorry."

I can see and hear and sense his regret. I know he's sorry – there is no denying that. But deep down, I know he's right. I have been blocking him out. I've been blocking out a lot of people, and I've been running from the past. So much so that I've started to lose sight of who I am.

I suck in my lips, moving closer to him. He observes me as I do this, his expression becoming confused only momentarily before he places a warm palm on my hip.

"Kanyon...I –"

"I want to be honest with you," I interrupt, meeting his gaze directly. "I want to be truthful and open, but I need you to promise me something before I can do that."