Chapter 13: A Beautiful Mystery

Vash

What was I thinking?

My fingers are pressed against my lips, squeezing as my heart beats in my chest.

What was that? What just happened?

My hand falls, resting over where my heart beats hard and fast. It feels strange. I don't think it's ever done this before. Has it? I can't remember.

I clutch my shirt, resting my head back against the smooth wood of the door as I close my eyes, trying to steady my breathing. My chest rises and falls heavily, and then it eases, and I open my eyes again, watching the light filter in through the blinds.

I almost kissed her. Almost. I was so close. My lips had been just centimeters away from hers. And I had felt her. Her body heat had been pressing against me, burning me like fire. Singeing me.

And then I pulled away and just left.

I squeeze my eyes closed again and slide down the door, crouching and resting my face in my hands. What made me do that? Why would I do that? Was there something in the air? Now that I think about it, it had felt heavy in there. Almost as if there was something weighing in the room, pressing down on us.

Then her eyes flash through my mind.

I look at the ground. Suddenly, they're all I can see. Just those sharp brown eyes. They had been glimmering, looking like golden honey in the suns' light. But they were also murky, filled with mystery and something else. Almost something pleading.

A new wave of heat washes over my face. Did she want to kiss me? Did she want me to kiss her?

I shake my head and stand, walking over to the window. Outside, the suns are starting to head west, casting shadows to the east, painting the sky gold and bronze. It's going to be another nice evening. Maybe I'll sit outside for a little bit after it gets dark.

I have to be careful. Meryl and the others are right. I can't be too reckless by wandering the grounds at every hour of the day. Because if someone wanted to, they could catch me. They could capture me and take me in. Or try, at least.

I haven't been caught yet, but I really don't want to test fate. Not when I still have so far to go.

Nai.

I know he's in July. I know that's where I'll find him. And I know that's where every plant he has taken is too. I don't know why he has them. I don't know what he's planning, but I know he's up to something, and I want to stop him. I want to stop him and save him.

"Nai," I say, talking to the setting suns. "Why are you doing this? Why are you doing all these horrible things? I just don't get it."

Suddenly, there is a knock on the door. I turn just as it opens, and Meryl pops her head in.

"Hey," she smiles. She holds up a bag. "Got your donuts! Where do you want 'em?"

"Oh, thanks. Here, I'll take them."

I walk over, taking the bag from her. They must have just got them. The bag still feels warm, and the donuts smell good. Sweet and sugary.

"Thank you," I say again, looking up at her, noticing an identical bag in her other hand. I point at it. "Did you get some too? Caved in, I see."

She shakes her head, smiling, "No. These are for Kanyon."

My breath becomes caught in my throat. Even hearing her name makes me feel this way. What is this? What is this feeling?

"She said she didn't want anything, but I felt bad not buying her something," Meryl continues, not noticing my reaction. "So, I just got her a few. Oh, is she in our room? I didn't see her outside."