Chapter 30: Rooftop Pt 2

**Mature content ahead – reader discretion advised**

Kanyon

The thin straps of my dress glide off my shoulders, and the material falls to the ground, pooling at my feet like a puddle. His eyes remain fixated on me, burning my skin as his stare drinks me up. It feels as if I am a glass of water, and he is a thirsty, thirsty man.

He reaches out, caressing my chin with his fingers. His touch is ginger and warm, sending shivers down my spine. Then he presses his lips to mine, kissing me deeply. It spins my head and sends my heart fluttering.

He pulls away, pressing his forehead to mine as he breathes, "You are so beautiful." He plants his hands on my hips, pressing his fingers into my flesh. "Can I be honest about something?"

My heart stops and my blood runs cold with anxiety. There is no saying what he is about to say. It could be anything, and that is what feeds into my dread. But I swallow that fear and nod.

"Yeah, of course."

His eyes peer into mine, searching for something, but I don't know what. Then: "I know we've had sex before. Neither of us are new to this. Not by a long shot."

Well, he's not wrong about that. Not only have we had sex with each other, but we've had sex with others. I know I have, and based on what he said before, it's safe to assume he has as well. After all, how else would he know he's a pleaser?

I lift my chin. "You're right. We have."

He brushes some loose hair from my face. "I know all of this is fleeting. Once we reach July, you'll go your way, and we'll go ours – I know that. It's just the way it is, but...but I still can't help but feel as if there has been something between us. Something that I've never felt with anyone else, and I know you've felt it too."

Chills run throughout my body, sending goosebumps racing across my skin. All this time, I sensed that he felt it too – that he could feel this electricity between us – but to have it confirmed only feeds into that energy. It makes me want him all that much more.

I inhale deeply, running my fingers along his bare chest. The scars dash and divot under my touch, burning my skin. I shiver but meet his gaze.

"What are you asking me, Vash?" My heart is racing, pounding my tender ribs. My stare dances with his, the anticipation swarming me. It wraps around my neck like a desert worm, choking.

He reaches up, taking my chin into his hold as he presses his lips to mine. His breath is hot against my skin as he whispers, "I don't want to just fuck you. For once – for just one time – in this moment, I want to make love to you."

My breath hitches as my pulse overwhelms my ears. All I can hear is the swooshing of my blood in my vessels, strumming against the walls of my ears like drums. It matches in time with the thumping of my heart as it beats my ribs. And then there is a sharp ringing that spins my head.

What is this? This strange and peculiar feeling... I've never felt it before. Then again, no one has ever said anything like this to me. Never. But as I look into his eyes, I see his sincerity.

"Can I do that?" he presses, bringing my palm to his lips. He kisses it gently, keeping his eyes locked on mine. "For just this once."

I chew my bottom lip. "But what about getting attached? Aren't you afraid of that?"

His fingers gingerly stroke the skin of my hand as he sucks in his breath. "I've come to realize that I can't spend my life living in fear. If I do that...what kind of life would that be?" His lips bow into a broad smile. "Besides, some things are just worth the risk, ya know?"