Chapter 33: Unload

Kanyon

His expression is still plastered in my mind.

The way his electric blue eyes widened, the yellow-green light of the sky bending in them as the gentle glow carved edges against his flexed jaw. His fair complexion had been dusted red, then turned pale as the muscles in his body tensed. Then there were the wrinkles between his brow, lost and confused.

I had taken him by surprise. I know I did. That was a lot to unload onto one person, but I did it. I took that baggage, and I dumped it on him, and I held nothing back.

Honestly, I was nervous at first. No one, with the exception of Jonas, knew any of that. No one knew my name. No one knew what happened to my parents. No one knew that Jonas is my uncle, framed for crimes he never committed. No one knew that Millions Knives even existed.

But now...now someone does know. He knows. Vash knows.

And now there is this lightness that surrounds me. My chest and my shoulders both feel lighter. The air is easier to breathe. Even my body feels as if I am floating. Never in my life did I imagine holding onto that secret would be weighing me down so much, but it must have been.

Still, that was a lot, and I don't fault him for his reaction.

After I finished my confession, Vash found it difficult to form words. He stared and blinked, dumbfounded – rightfully so. His body shook, probably anxious and overwhelmed. I recall it all very well.

"Vash?" I had asked, knitting my brows. I suddenly wanted to reach out and touch him – to reassure him. To feel him against my fingertips. To tell him that despite everything I just said, I am still me.

However, before I could do that, he must have regained himself, collecting his composure as he found his way to his feet. He started to collect his clothes, shrugging and stepping into them as he spoke shakily. "We should probably get back before the others start to notice we're gone. We've been up here for a while now."

I blinked, watching as he hurried to dress himself. It bothered me how fast he was moving. Almost as if he was trying to hurry and get away from me. But what really tugged at me was how he was avoiding my eyes. That stung.

Slowly, I started to gather my own clothes. Not that it took long. It was just my underwear and dress. Nothing tedious.

With them held against me, I reached for the window frame, ready to pull myself up when a set of warm arms wrapped around me and hoisted me to my feet. At first, I startled, not fully expecting him to help me, but as I turned back and saw him, I noticed how conflicted he looked.

He sucked in his lips, speaking lowly. "Please, be careful." He glanced at the clothes in my arms, then reached for them. "Here, let me help. I don't want you to risk reinjury."

I looked at him, taking him in as if I hadn't before. Studying his features – the way his eyes still fell from mine, averted to the ground, but also how gentle his touch still was. And suddenly, his rushed demeanor melts into a slow and careful dance.

He helped me as I stepped into my panties, gliding them up my legs. His fingertips touched my skin, sending chills down my spine. He held me like that for a moment, his palms resting on my waist. Even as his gaze avoided mine, I still recognized the way he didn't want to let go.

But eventually, he did. He held my dress up, pulling it over my head and down until it clothed my nakedness. But aside from that, it separated my skin from his, and I hated the way that felt. I wanted to feel more of him again, but I knew better.

He was swirling in a tsunami of emotions. Mostly confusion, and I knew I couldn't overstep that. And as he walked me back down the stairs, guiding me all the way back to my room, his hand encasing mine, I reminded myself of that.

Because he still wouldn't look at me.

I swallow, still remembering that detail, chewing on my lower lip as I fold in on myself. I don't know what was on his mind. I don't know what he was thinking, but I know it was a lot, and I know that I need to give him time and space to digest all that. That's what I keep telling myself.

However, as I sit here, watching the suns as they set, I can't help but feel as if maybe something is wrong. Something's not right. But what?

**Ello, ello lovelies! A little post-rooftop scene with Kanyon now. I know it wasn't a whole lot, but it was something. It seems she's picked up on Vash's reaction, which is totally to be expected. Even she knows she just revealed a lot to him. Obviously, we already have a grasp on how he feels about it all, but do you think his thoughts will be made known to her? Feel free to take a gander! Wow. It is a dreary day today (11/20/2023 as of typing). Yesterday was all pretty and warm. Not today. I just wanna take a nap and curl up in a warm blanket lol. Oh, well. I must type! As always, thank y'all so, so much for everything! Y'all are the bee's knees! Wuv yous!! <3**

-Noel Ross