Chapter 39: Shopping

Kanyon

~1 Week Later~

The bruise is gone.

The bruise is gone. Vanished like a ghost in the night, evaporated from my skin. Not a single trace of it lingers, and I hadn't even noticed.

But what does remain is the long stretch of my scar. Jagged and angry. A soft, faded fleshy pink against my tanned tone. It is puffy and uneven, running like ridges alone me.

It holds onto the memories of that night, housing them deep in its valleys. It clings to them, reminding me of those flames every time I touch it. The burning heat that licked my skin. The wailing cries and coughs of my family. The cold look in Millions Knives's eyes.

I squeeze my eyes closed and drop my dress over me, once again hiding the scar.

I'm trying not to think about it. About what awaits in July when I get there. About what I'm planning to do. About what will happen. About how betrayed Vash will feel.

Betrayed. That's a funny word. Betrayal would imply that I made some kind of promise or agreement with him, but I haven't. I've agreed to nothing and made no vows. All I did was simply stop talking about it with him. Even if he were to beg and plead...my decision is made.

I step into my boots and toss my hair up into a ponytail, then turn, exiting my shared room with Meryl.

In the suite, everyone is simply doing their own things. Roberto is reading the newspaper on the sofa. Nicholas and Vash are playing cards at the dining table. And Meryl is pulling her bag over her shoulder. Her eyes meet mine and she flashes a warm smile.

"Are ya ready?" she asks brightly.

"Uh, where are you two going?" Nicholas questions sharply.

Meryl rolls her eyes and turns to him. "I already told you, Kanyon and I are going to the grocery store. Now that we have a proper –"

"Ish," he interrupts, placing a card down.

She flares her nostrils. "Now that we have a proper kitchen, we can actually cook."

"You actually plan on doing that? Why not just survive off the salad bar and snacks like we did in Penton?"

"We need nutritional food and – wait. Why am I bothering to explain this to you?"

"I don't know. Why are you?"

I watch as Meryl furrows her brows, the annoyance and irritation clear on her face, and for a moment I almost think she's going to lunge for him, but she doesn't. She simply recomposes herself and straightens her posture, clearing her throat.

"Anyway, Kanyon and I will be back in a bit. Is there anything in particular you boys want?"

"Nah," Nicholas replies. He sounds focused on his game. "I'm good."

"I'll take some booze," Roberto says.

"I meant food, but okay," Meryl huffs.

My eyes migrate to Vash. From here, I am looking at the back of his head, but I can tell by his posture that he is concentrating on the cards in his hand.

"What about you, Vash?" I ask. My heartbeat quickens. "Any special requests?"

He takes a moment, but eventually turns, his eyes meeting mine as he flashes a bright smile. "Actually, do you know what I've really been wanting?"

"Donuts," Meryl mutters.

The corners of his lips remain twitched up as he shakes his head. "No. Omelets."