Chapter 5: Fake Smiles and Real Sadness

Kanyon

"These are really good," Vash says through a mouthful of donuts.

After driving around for about another hour, we stumbled across Penton (a random place I came up with lol), a small city between Jeneora Rock and Windmill Village. We managed to secure a few different hotel rooms and took to the strip, exploring what the city has to offer while also looking for food.

Roberto and Nicholas found a place that specializes in meat platters while Meryl settled for a sandwich shop. As for Vash and me, we got those donuts we had been talking about. And they are delicious.

"Right?" I say after swallowing my own bite. "These are good. Really sweet."

"Mmmhmm. And soft."

"I don't understand how you two could eat that and call it dinner," Meryl says, lifting a brow. "It doesn't even look filling."

"It's filling when you haven't had any for over five years," I remark.

"Just let them be," Roberto chimes.

"Fine," she huffs. She turns, looking at me. I am propped up in a seat they had found at one of the tables, my free arm wrapped around my torso. "How are you feeling? Are you uncomfortable or in any pain?"

I shake my head. "I'm fine as long as I don't move around too much."

"Okay. Well, remember to let us know when you need to stand."

"I will."

Honestly, I'm in no rush to get up. Getting out of the satellite jeep was already excruciating enough. It left my ribs screaming and my muscles aching, and now they're twitching. Not horribly, but if I try to move, I know they'll be protesting just as much as earlier. So, I'll take my time enjoying my food.

"Well, I'm gonna go somewhere where I can smoke," Roberto announces, climbing to his feet.

"I just might join you, Grandpa," Nicholas says, following his lead.

"You're not mooching off my cigarettes," Roberto warns as the two grow further away.

We watch them leave, then Meryl sighs, "I'm going to go wash up." She looks at me. "Will you be okay here until I come back?"

"Yeah," I answer, taking another bite.

"Don't worry. I'll keep an eye on her," Vash assures.

"Okay. I'll be back soon."

She tosses her trash in the bin and walks away, leaving just Vash and me. We eat in silence for a while, the two of us not really having anything to say when he glances up, looking at the suns setting overhead.

"It's a pretty evening," he says.

I follow his stare. The sky is a fiery crimson, painted by the two suns dipping beneath the horizon. They burn, casting shadows across the city's stony pavement.

"Yeah," I agree with a nod. "It's beautiful."

And it is. As I sit here, my donut in my hand, I can't help but admire the evening. Now that I think about it, when was the last time I watched the suns set? Like, really watched. Has it been... Has it really been that long? So much so that I can't even remember when.

"I can't remember the last time I did this," I say, speaking before thinking.

Vash turns, looking at me. "Since you've watched the suns set?"

I flush, embarrassed that I allowed myself to say that, though not understanding why, then clear my throat. "Oh, uh, yeah."

I take a nervous bite as he watches me. "How's that? They do it every day."