Chapter 36: King's Suite

Kanyon

We do eventually find the motel, and unlike the rest of the metal architecture of this sleepy town, it is constructed wholly of stone and concrete.

It isn't a very large infrastructure. It stands at two stories at its shortest height, and three at its tallest – maybe hosting the grander suites such as the presidential if it has one. Its face is lined with great windows with iron details, though I'm not sure if anyone can actually see out of them. Thick layers of dust are caked onto each one, making it difficult to see in, and two lone street posts stand outside the entrance – though one seems to be busted – as a massive porch wraps around the building.

Once inside, it isn't much better. The lobby is small with a single desk and a little seating area tucked in a far corner with two bookshelves loaded with dusty books. The walls are stained yellow – most likely from years of people smoking – and red rugs lay stretched across the creaking wooden floor.

At the desk stands an older woman with graying brunette hair and tired eyes. She looks up as she sees us approaching and flashes a warm smile, greeting us.

"Welcome," she says. She scans each of our faces, still beaming. "Can't say I've seen you lot before. Passing through?"

"Something like that," Meryl answers. She approaches the desk. "Our friend here –" she motions at me "– is still healing from a nasty injury and we were hoping to get some rooms for an extended stay."

My heart sinks at hearing this. I really don't like the sound of that. An extended stay. I was already held up in a hotel when we were in Penton, and that was for basically a month. Now, they're wanting to keep me caged even longer. Then again, I can only thank the ride here for that.

The woman's eyes drift to me and she looks me up and down. I don't know why, but I suddenly feel small under her stare and feel myself shrink, but then I feel a warm palm gently apply pressure to the small of my back reassuringly. I don't look, but I know it's Vash, and I melt into his touch, feeling secure as the woman searches me.

After a few seconds, she smiles again and turns to Meryl. "Of course. We can accommodate that. If you'd like, we can set you folks up in the king's suite."

"The king's suite?" Meryl repeats quizzically.

"Yes, the king's suite. It's kind of like a little apartment," the woman explains. "It has three separate bedrooms, a living area, and is equipped with its own kitchen. Though, it's nothing fancy. Don't let the name fool you. No king has ever stayed in it before, but it should comfortably house y'all."

"That does sound nice," Meryl says. She turns and looks at us. "What do you guys think? Are you okay with that?"

"Can we afford it?" Roberto asks.

Meryl turns to the woman who only smiles, "Not sure if you've noticed, sir, but we're not necessarily a big old city like Augusta or July. Our rates are as low as they come."

"Even for a king's suite?"

"Let's put it this way," the woman says. "You're looking at twenty double-dollars a night. A king's suite elsewhere and you're lookin' at a couple hundred double-dollars a night."

"That's less than the arrangement in Penton," Meryl quickly adds, looking at Roberto. They exchange glances and he shrugs. Meryl turns back to the woman. "We'll take it."

"Excellent!" She pulls out a book and writes something in it. "Any idea how long you folks plan on stayin'?"

"Not yet," Meryl answers. "It completely depends on her injuries."