Chapter 27: Air and Smoke

Kanyon

When Meryl and I return to the hotel, we find Roberto and Nicholas outside, each savoring their own cigarette. Their eyes drift to us as we approach, but it is Roberto who speaks first.

"Well, look who it is. It seems Newbie finally let you out to play." His voice is gruff, and his eyes are tired – as usual. He looks down at the bag in my hand. "Seems you two did some shopping."

"If she's well enough to shop, then she should be well enough to hit the road," Nicholas interjects smugly. His lips are tugged into a cunning curl. "Nice dress, by the way. I didn't know you wore those."

Meryl storms over to him and jabs her elbow in his ribs, causing him to hiss and me to wince at even imagining if she did that to me right now.

"Stop being creepy," she orders, glaring at Nicholas.

He whines, rubbing the area she had struck. "I wasn't trying to be creepy. I was making an observation."

"A creepy one."

"Whatever," he grumbles. He turns to Roberto. "I'm right though, aren't I?"

"I'm not about to end up like you by commenting on a woman's fashion choice," Roberto replies, taking a deep inhale of his cigarette.

"Not that!" Nicholas snaps. "Of traveling. Hitting the road." He motions at me. "If she's well enough to shop, then she's well enough to travel."

Though I won't admit it out loud, Nicholas has a point. Meryl and I were out today, walking up and down the strip, and not once was it a problem. I did just fine, which means we should be good to hit the road again. But before I can say anything, another voice speaks.

"Are you trying to further her injuries?" Meryl asks, shooting the man a sharp look.

"What?" he shrugs. "You two were out lollygagging today, so clearly she's doing better."

"It was her first day out," she snaps, placing her hands on her hips. "There's no saying how she'll feel in an hour, let alone tomorrow."

I don't really like this. Hearing and watching them talk about me as if I'm not here – as if I can't answer for myself. Assuming that I don't know what I can or can't handle. It's infuriating and only makes me irritated.

Meryl and Nicholas continue to go back and forth as I turn to Roberto. I lift my chin and speak calmly. "Ya know, I have been doing better these days. It wouldn't hurt for us to start making preparations to depart."

His eyes fall on me, his expression never shifting as he takes another drag off his cigarette. Then, he exhales, blowing smoke. "As much as you might not like this, Newbie is right. Today was your first day out of the hotel, so there's no saying how you'll feel later."

I furrow my brow. "This is a tad excessive. Don't you all think I know my body well enough to know what I can and can't handle?"

Heat dusts over my cheeks and ears as it fills my chest, but I try to remain calm. I try not to show my frustration.

He studies me with sharp eyes, then: "Maybe, but if I recall, you said you've never had broken ribs before. And if that's the case, then you really don't know what could trigger a reinjury. It could be anything. A twist, a jolt, a stumble – anything." He inhales the cigarette again. "You might not like it, but Newbie is right. At this point, it's better to just wait. There's no reason to risk it and go injuring yourself all over again."

I want to argue. I want to protest and stand my ground, but there is a rational side of me that is whispering in the back of my mind, telling me that they're right. I hate to admit it, but they are. And I've made way too much progress to risk it all. So, my protests would only be in vain.