Chapter 10: A Little Melody

Kanyon

The moons are all strung overhead, glowing their milky hues as a warm, but dry breeze blows, whisking my hair.

I sit, perched in the same seat as the one from last night, my jacket wrapped around me as my thoughts wander. Drifting aimlessly, really. Just a long train rolling through my head, whistling at each stop. But they all circle back to him.

Millions Knives.

How long have I been searching, chasing him through this desert? How many towns have I passed through hoping to find him? How many wanted posters have I analyzed, searching for his face? So many. Too many. And I'm always left empty-handed.

I let out a hefty sigh as the weighted sound of soles scuffing pavement catches my attention. I turn, making sure not to move too fast, and am immediately set at ease.

Walking toward me with the dim glow of street posts illuminating around him, a friendly smile bowing his lips as he waves is Vash.

"Hey, hey," he says, reaching where I am. "Mind if I join you?"

I shake my head. "No, I don't mind."

"Thanks."

He pulls out the seat across from me and slides into it. The metal feet graze the pavement, ringing through my ears like a little metallic melody. It sends shivers down my spine and raises the hairs on the back of my neck.

His eyes are lifted, looking at the five moons overhead, his brilliant blues still hidden behind the orange sunglasses. His lips are pressed in a soft but flat line, the flush on his cheeks gentle. And is that a little mole I spot under his left eye? It is. How I'm able to notice that in this dim light is a mystery to me, but it's there.

Sitting here, observing and looking at him, I'm noticing a number of new things about him. Some are things I've already known about, like the forced smiles he flashes, but some are new. Such as the immense heaviness in his eyes.

Such heavy eyes, filled with so much sorrow. I knew there was sadness in this man, but how much? How much pain is he actually carrying around in his heart? And how is he not drowning in it?

There is a story to him. One that is adorned in misery and pain, but despite how curious I am, I refrain from asking. Prying that deeply into someone is something you just don't do. Especially if you don't know them, and I just don't know Vash like that. So, I don't dig. I don't ask. I don't pry.

"It sure is nice out," he says, his tone sounding bright. He glimpses at me. "I hope you didn't have any trouble getting out here."

I fidget, hiding my fingers under my jacket. "No, I didn't. Meryl insisted on helping me."

"Well, that's a relief," he smiles, scratching the back of his neck. "To be honest, the idea of you trying to get around on your own makes me nervous. Don't want you to get hurt even more, ya know?"

I blink. This man makes no sense. None whatsoever. Here he is, choking down his own pain and worrying about someone else – a stranger, no less. And to be honest, I can't figure out if he's doing that to be selfless, or selfish.

"I'm sure I would've been fine," I say, looking back to the moons. "I think I can manage walking on my own."

"Mmm. Maybe so, but it's still better safe than sorry, ya know?"

Better safe than sorry. Where have I heard that before? Oh, that's right. Jonas. He was notorious for saying stuff like that. Always reminding me to not be hasty or reckless. Not that I ever really listened or practiced what he preached. Maybe I should have, but I was just a kid and a stubborn one at that. Still, hearing Vash say this really takes me back.

Once again, I look at him. Just like so many times before, he is flashing that stupid smile. That stupid, empty smile. Honestly, it's starting to piss me off. Why smile if it's not genuine? Why pretend to be okay if he's not? I just don't get it. That said, I'm still not about to pry. It's not my business.

"Please, you needn't worry about me," I say – grumble, almost. "I'm tougher than you think I am. I can handle myself."

And I can. I know I can. I've been doing that for the last five years. Traveling No Man's Land on my own. Surviving by myself. Relying on no one aside from myself.

I can feel him studying me, then: "I never doubted that you could. I just know that an injury like that is a tough one. Why, I even know of a few tough guys who were taken down by a broken rib or two. It's painful."

Well, he's right about that. It sure as hell doesn't feel good. Even so, I don't need his pity.

"Still, you don't need to concern yourself with worrying about me," I sigh. "Besides, I'm sure you have your own thing going on."

I'm not prying. I'm not prying, but maybe a gentle reminder of his own problems will keep him off my back. Maybe. But as quickly as I say that, his reply rings through the air.

"I don't believe I follow. I think it's okay to worry about others. It shows you care. Ya know?"

My eyes land on him. That stupid smile. It's infuriating. I just want to punch it off his face.

"About strangers? No, thank you," I mumble, rolling my eyes.

I can feel him studying me. Of course. Then: "Why not? Compassion for each other is one of life's greatest gifts." He shifts his posture, smiling, "Besides, you're not a stranger."

I can feel the heat rushing to my face, burning my cheeks and nose as I avert my eyes. This man. I don't understand. I really don't understand him. And nor do I understand this reaction, which only irritates me more.

"Whatever," I grumble. "You don't know me. How do you know I'm not faking it all and not planning to rob you?"

I glimpse at him just as he smiles, "I just know. You're a good person. You wouldn't do that."

I want to snap back and argue, but something in his eyes stops me. The way they glisten under the gentle glow of the lamp post, appearing so soft and warm. They disarm me, causing me to lower my frustration, and my heart sputters in my chest.

I don't know this man. I don't understand him. Nothing about him makes any sense to me.

Isn't he supposed to be evil? Isn't he supposed to be this malicious criminal? Aren't I supposed to be afraid of him? And if he is supposed to be all these things, then why is he like this? So kind and warm. So friendly and caring. It doesn't make any sense to me.

"You're weird," I finally say, glancing away.

"Huh? How am I weird?" He seems surprised by this, his voice sporting that shock.

I smirk, shrugging, "You just are, but there's nothing wrong with that. It's just who you are."

There's a brief pause, the feeling of his eyes weighing on me when he chuckles, "I'll take that as a compliment, then."

"Good. You should."

We sit, the both of us silent as the moons all five glow overhead, the breeze blowing. Silence circles, but in this comforting way that I find myself seeping into it. And there's the gentleness of his breathing, slow and steady.

Just like a soft song.

**Bello lovelies! So, this chapter... I don't know. It literally just went. I guess it's after a long day of them all doin' nothing after the previous chapter, which is how we went from breakfast to nighttime lol. Listen...I was just here lol. I guess we'll all just have to see what happens next. We'll find out lol. Alrighty, then. Until the next one! Thank y'all so, so much for all the love and support! Wuv yous!! <3**

-Noel Ross