Chapter 14: In His Head

Vash

It's a tad chilly tonight.

I shiver, pulling my jacket tighter around myself, watching the quietness of Penton roll through the breeze.

The streets are lined with lampposts, all casting sharp pools of light on the ground. The occasional vehicle and bike ride by, quietly growling as a few different groups of people walk along the sidewalks.

In the cover of the night, no one gives me a second glance. They don't even notice me. It's like I'm invisible. Just an unseen phantom.

I lean against the railing, feeling the breeze rustle my hair as I sigh.

I don't get it. All day, ever since what happened earlier, my heart has been racing. Hammering against my ribs every time her face flashes through my mind. Making my face hot. Spinning my head.

I don't know what it means, or if it means anything, but I do know that this has never happened before. I've never felt this. Never.

My hand moves to my chest, feeling my heartbeat. It's almost fast and irregular. Kind of like a sputter. I clutch the material of my shirt, squeezing my fist, and drop my hand again, leaning more on the railing.

"Figured you'd be out here."

I turn, glimpsing over my shoulder as Wolfwood walks, scuffing the soles of his shoes. An unlit cigarette hangs between his lips, his dark eyes sharp and locked on me. He reaches where I am and leans against the railing.

"I thought we all agreed you'd stay inside more," he says, not looking at me.

I turn back to the street. "I needed some air. Besides, it's dark. No one has noticed me yet."

"Yet." I can feel him survey me. "Needed air, eh? Why's that? Is something wrong?"

"I don't know if I would say that."

"Then what would you say?"

Good question. What would I call this? Strange? Weird? Odd? Sickening? It does make me feel all those things. At least, a little. But I just sigh.

"It's nothing, really. That said, what are you doing out here?" I look at him.

"Was heading out for a smoke," he answers nonchalantly, turning and pressing his back against the railing. "But then I saw you. Are you aware of just how much you look like a sad puppy?"

I smile, "That bad, eh?"

"Painfully so." He digs into his pocket and fishes out a lighter, lighting his cigarette. He breathes in, then exhales the smoke. "So, what is it now? Are you moping over Knives or one of your other five thousand problems?"

Five thousand. That's a hefty amount of problems for one person to have. Seems pretty excessive to me.

Then I frown. Nai. All the plants he has taken. Jeneora Rock and what happened there. The chaos that fell over that little town. The bounty that's on my head. Watching people I know and care about getting hurt and displaced. Knowing that something horrible is in the works.

But that's not all. Now there are all the new things popping up. Jonas Williams. His face is so familiar, but I can't place my finger on why. Where have I seen him? And Kanyon. There's a great veil of mystery shrouding her and her past. For example, why was she traveling with Jonas? Was she a hostage, and if so, why?

I could always ask her. Maybe bring it up casually in a conversation. But how do you bring something like that up? There's no way to.

"Come on, Blondie," Wolfwood scoffs. "You're depressing as hell."