Chapter 34: Worms

Kanyon

~5 Days Later~

"Jeez. That storm from the other day must have brought in more heat," I sigh, sliding into my place next to Meryl.

She, Nicholas, and I are all gathered around a table in the hotel's dining hall, plates of food in front of us as the suns' brilliance shine through the windows. Their warmth is stifling, gripping my skin through the glass as I pop a grape in my mouth.

"I know," Meryl says. Her dark gaze meets mine. "And it looks like it brought in a lot of worms, too." She shudders. "Eww. Totally gross. They creep me out."

I shiver, remembering the sudden inflex of worms. Most are of the flying variety and pretty harmless, but that does nothing to ease the discomfort they bring. Much like Meryl, I'm not too fond of them either. I've spent many nights in the desert with Jonas as I hid under my blanket to try to keep them from crawling across my skin.

"Yeah. They're pretty unpleasant," I agree.

"You two are dramatic," Nicholas chuckles. We both turn to him, taking in his smugness as he smirks. "They're just little ones. You can catch those with one hand and eat 'em."

Meryl shivers. "Eww. No, thanks."

"Oh, come on, Shortie. It'll be just like that one time after –"

"Eww! No, stop," she blurts. Her eyes squeeze close as she waves her hands dismissively. "That was disgusting. I don't even want to think back to that."

"But the protein," he chuckles.

"Stop!"

I sit, watching as they bicker, having no idea what they're talking about, but finding my own appetite fading more and more with each mention of worms. Even imagining them makes me shudder, and I push my plate away.

Nicholas notices, turning to me as he grins, "What's the matter, Gimpy? Haven't you ever had a cooked worm before?"

"Ignore him," Meryl whispers harshly. She shoots him a sharp glance. "He's just being an ass. Though, nothing new there."

He ignores her, instead saying, "Maybe I should go out and catch one. Blondie, Gramps, and I can eat it. Maybe that can be our dinner." He looks at us, still smirking. "You two sure ya don't want any?"

Both Meryl and I shrink, disgust washing over us as Meryl snaps, "You're disgusting."

"Count me out," I add, dropping my napkin next to my full plate. It's a shame. All this food is about to be wasted.

I sigh, trying to swallow all the queasiness the worm talk has stirred and instead latch onto the other thing Nicholas had said. Or rather, who.

Vash.

It's been five days since everything that happened on the rooftop transpired, and it feels as if I've barely seen him. Scratch that. I have barely seen him. Over these last five days, he has been held up in his room, only really coming out either early in the morning or late in the evening.

And admittedly, it stings. I wasn't expecting him to act this way after I shared such a fragile part of myself, but at the same time, I still understand it is a heavy burden to digest. It is one I have shouldered most of my life.

So, maybe he's still taking it all in. Maybe he's learning how to approach me now that he knows who I really am. That said, I am still me. My name might be an alias, but I am still who I am. I have never lied or hid that much. Leilani Belle or Kanyon James, I am still me.