Chapter 6: Hot Water

Kanyon

Hot water beads against my skin, massaging the tension in my neck as steam swirls, filling my lungs. The warmth swaddles me, wrapping me in its embrace as suds roll down my body.

I needed this. Before the Stampede. Before the Bad Lads. Even before I rode into Jeneora Rock. A nice, hot shower was and is exactly what I need.

My fingertips glide over my torso, the black-blue bruise still hot with pain. It stretches from my ribs and goes to my hip, the splotchy mess throbbing and pulsing with keen pains. I try not to move too much or too fast, but occasionally stiffen my lip whenever I do, the jolting screams of my bones and muscles reminding me of my mistake.

But then I see it. Carved under the bruise, painted that nasty blue is the old, healed scar from so many years ago. It stretches diagonally from my upper ribs to my lower stomach, just as massive and ugly as before. The skin is raised and puffy, never having quite returned to its flatness. It's warm under my fingertips, and sensitive.

There are memories tied to this scar. Memories I try not to think about.

I inhale and sigh as my eyes flutter closed and I tilt my head back as far as I can manage, allowing the water to cascade down my neck and chest. My spine cracks, twitching my aching muscles. I wince, but swallow the discomfort, just allowing the heat to pull me deeper and deeper into bliss.

A knock comes upon the door as Meryl's voice calls through the thick wood. "Kanyon, are you okay in there? You've been in there a while."

I inhale heavily, then reply, "Yeah. Sorry. The water just feels good."

"Oh, you're fine." I can hear the bit of relief and a smile in her tone. "I just wanted to make sure you're okay."

"I appreciate that. Thank you."

"No problem."

I guess there's that, too. The irony of me running into the Stampede, and after my run-in with the Bad Lads, no less.

The Humanoid Typhoon. A man worth six-billion double-dollars. If money were my aim, I could capture his ass and turn him in. Collect that bounty and buy myself a nice house. Maybe get some land. A bunch of sand is all it would be.

But then I remember that smile.

That's where my mind keeps circling back to. This man is said to be the worst of the worst. Someone who has done horrible, horrible things. Leveled cities. Stolen plants. Killed people. That's what I assume, but that smile...

I don't see it. There's no way Vash did anything remotely horrible enough to end up on that poster.

A mistaken identity? Maybe. People get that kind of stuff wrong all the time. It isn't unheard of. But to just roll with it as he has? That doesn't make any sense to me.

I exhale and shut the water off, cutting the stream.

In the end, it's none of my concern. My objective is still cut and dry. Go to July. Find Millions Knives. Get my answers. Then get my revenge. Simple. Straight forward. To the point. Not easy, but possible.

***

"Are you feeling better?" Meryl asks as she helps me slowly pad to my bed in our shared room.

I wince and hold my breath every time I move too quickly or too much, but I dare not make an audible sound. Though, I feel as though she can sense the discomfort. Fucking Neon. I wish I could kick his ass for this.

"Yeah," I say, slowly lowering myself down on the mattress. It creaks under the weight of my body. "Thank you. I appreciate your help."

I do. I do appreciate her help. I appreciate the others too. However, I am already getting tired of this hobbling around bullshit, and feeling as though I can't do anything on my own. And even though I am grateful for Meryl's help in particular, I know that her hovering is going to get old real quick.

"No problem," she smiles. She stands, helping me get settled. "I've never had any broken ribs, but I know it has to suck."

"More than you know."

She chuckles, "Yeah. I won't lie, you don't really seem like you're all about the coddling. You seem like you're more the independent type."

My lips twitch into a small smile. I guess these broken ribs have left me easy to read. I guess I already knew that, though.

"Sorry."

She perks up, waving her hands dismissively. "Oh, don't apologize! There's nothing wrong with that! It's just who you are." She lowers her arms, her expression softening. "If anything, I understand how frustrated you must feel. I mean, it has to be annoying. To go from traveling alone to suddenly be forced to rely on someone else." Her brows knit together. "Though, may I ask you something?"

"Sure," I shrug.

Her expression becomes solemn. "What are you doing traveling alone? Isn't that dangerous?"

Ah. That question. It isn't the first time it has been thrown at me. I've heard it repeatedly over these last five years. From very many people too. It was always the same. Serious faces looking at me with worried eyes. And none of them had ever said it – they never even hinted at it – but I couldn't help but feel they only ever asked that because I'm a woman.

Oh, the fragile woman braving the elements all by herself. Oh, the foolish woman roughing it in the desert all alone. Oh, that silly woman.

They never say those things, but I always hear them lingering between the words in their questions. I always see them drifting in their eyes.

I inhale, then reply, "The business I have... It calls for me to travel alone."

I don't want to say too much – to give too much away. They don't need to know. And besides, if they did, they'd probably only think I'm crazy. And maybe I am.

"The business? You mean in July?" she presses.

I nod.

She scans me. "Still, isn't that dangerous? I mean, had we not found you, there's no saying what would have happened."

But even as she says this, we both know. We both know exactly what would have happened to me. At least, we both know what most likely would have happened. I probably would have – at worst – died. At best, been left mangled.

I smile, "I appreciate your concern – really – but there's no need to worry."

She frowns. "No need to worry? But you were attacked by the Bad Lads Gang."

"It was a spoof."

She scans me. I can tell she wants to say more, but instead, she sighs, "Well, like I said earlier, you're more than welcome to stay with us. After all, we are all heading the same way."

"Thank you."

She flashes another smile and gently pats my hand and turns, crawling into her own bed. She turns out the lamp and the room is plunged into a blue darkness.

I lay, staring up at the ceiling, my thoughts swirling. Today was most definitely an exciting day. A lot has happened. More than I ever thought would. More than I ever imagined.

But as I lay here with my mind spinning, my thoughts drift back to him. To Millions Knives.

I will get my answers.

And I will get my revenge.

**Bello lovelies! Well, Kanyon got that shower she wanted. There was also a little moment between her and Meryl. Just chatting. She's still not about to tell them her true intentions, which is fair. Her business is hers. Don't worry! More awaits. But until then, thank y'all so, so much for everything! Y'all are coolio! Wuv yous!! <3**

-Noel Ross