Chapter 8: Save Him

Vash

"Well, you were out late." Wolfwood's voice cuts through the silence as I click the door closed behind me.

I glance up. He is seated, still fully dressed, on one of the wooden chairs in the corner of the room. In the bed furthest from the door, Roberto is sound asleep, snoring as his chest rises and falls heavily, but steadily.

"Yeah," I say, flashing a smile. "Sorry. I was chatting with Kanyon."

He lifts a brow. "Kanyon? Didn't she and Shortie go to bed hours ago?"

"She couldn't sleep."

I pull my jacket off, holding it in my hands. It's strange. She only wore it for half an hour, but I can still smell her in the fabric. The soap she used was something fragrant and sharp. Then there's the faint trace of her own natural scent, which is something sweet.

"She couldn't sleep, so you what? You slipped into her bedroom for a nighttime chat?" Wolfwood presses, fidgeting with the unlit cigarette hanging between his lips.

"No, nothing like that." I shake my head, kicking my shoes off. "I was outside on the patio, and she kind of showed up."

"By herself? Well, her injuries must not be as bad as everyone thought."

"I wouldn't say that. She was struggling. How she made it as far as she did by herself is a mystery to me."

He sits, still observing me for a moment before sighing, "I'll take it you helped her back to her room?"

I nod, "Yeah. I didn't like the idea of her walking back alone."

"A true gentleman. A real heartthrob."

A small smile cracks across my lips. Just as snarky and sarcastic as ever. Typical Wolfwood.

I start to unmake the pullout sofa I'll be sleeping on, continuing, "I told her I think it's best if we postpone any more traveling. Until she's healed up a bit more."

"Are you serious? Aren't we on a time crunch or something?"

A time crunch. That's a funny way to look at it. If time was actually a concern, it should have been one long ago. A hundred-and-forty-nine years, and he hasn't done anything aside from stealing a couple of plants. That in itself isn't good, but it also isn't the worst-case scenario. Not yet, anyway.

"It'll be fine," I say, glancing at him. "If he hasn't made any major moves yet, then he won't now. Besides, we can sacrifice a little time to let everyone rest. After all, aren't you tired, Wolfwood?"

He looks at me, observing. I know he is. With intense eyes like that, it's easy to tell. Then, he sighs, "Ya know, you're too nice and too trusting." He shifts, fidgeting more with that unlit cigarette. "How can you be sure she's not some kind of spy or assassin?"

I smile, chuckling, "I doubt she is, but even if she was, she's injured. What would she do in her current condition?"

His expression doesn't shift or change. It doesn't do a thing. All he does is inhale deeply, his chest expanding. Then: "Needle-noggin, did you happen to notice how perceptive our new friend is?"

I think back to earlier. To all my conversations with her so far. Her eyes, big and brown, just like polished rocks, had always been focused and almost sharp. Almost as if she was trying to cut through my words, dissecting them. Or trying to read my thoughts.

I swallow, "Yeah. I noticed."

"And you're not the least bit worried?" His voice is rough.

"Not really."

"She is perceptive, and she has business in July. You're not worried that, that might not have something to do with Knives?"

"I don't think there's anything to worry about."

A flicker flashes across his expression. "Are you listening to yourself? How can you be so nonchalant? This stray could spell bad news for us."

I finish setting up my little bed, smiling, "I'm not worried, Wolfwood. Kanyon is good. She won't do anything."

He sits, staring and observing. He might not like it, but deep down, he knows I'm right. I really don't think Kanyon is anything to worry about. She's injured, and even if she wasn't, I really don't believe she's a threat. Much like him, she has the eyes of a good person.

He stands, shoving his hands into his pockets. "So, we're all gonna just hang around until she's all healed up?"

"Yeah," I answer with a nod.

"Ya know, this is gonna take weeks."

"I know."

"I mean, we're looking at anywhere from a month to a month and a half. Maybe longer." His eyes meet mine. "Are you actually prepared to hang around in one place for that long?"

"If it helps her, then yes."

His eyes are trained on me, just as they have been this whole time. Sharp and prying. I don't try to hide anything that's going through my head. Not really. Not right now. Then, he inhales and sighs as he makes his way to his bed, speaking dryly. "Whatever. We can use this time to rest up like you said. However, we should stay vigilant."

I smile, "Always."

And he turns out the light, sending the room into darkness. I lay, listening to Roberto snore and Wolfwood shift and flip in his bed, and then the silence of night creeps in.

My thoughts are racing as they always do. My mind is loud. It has been that way for the last century-and-a-half. Buzzing and humming, trying to figure out why Nai is doing what he's doing, but deep down, I already know the answer.

His anger and rage towards humans have blinded him, and I know that. But even so, he is my brother, and I want to do more than just stop him from doing whatever it is he's planning. I want to save him.

I want to save him from himself.

**Hello, lovelies! Look, a little Vash POV. There will be a few of these sprinkled throughout the story, but for the most part, it'll be Kanyon's POV. That said, we now know that the group will be in Penton for at least a month to allow Kanyon to heal up before hitting the road again. Wolfie still seems wary, but at the same time, we all know about the chat he had with Kanyon. It's almost like he's trying to gauge the situation. And then there's Knives. Kanyon wants to kill him, and Vash wants to save him. How do you think this will affect the story? Guess we'll all have to wait to find out! Speaking of Vash, today (09/09/2023 at the time of typing this) my new Vash the Stampede shirt came in! I'm so excited to wear it! I mean, it's getting washed first, and I need it to drop under 80 preferably, but I'm still excited! It's so cool! It's the 1998 version. Random, I know lol. Anyhow, thank you SOOOO much for all the love and support! Y'all are the bee's knees! Wuv yous!! <3**

-Noel Ross