Chapter 4: Ocean Blues

Kanyon

No Man's Land rolls by, the dunes and valleys peaking and falling like each breath I breathe. It's hypnotizing, really, almost lulling me to sleep, but Nicholas is – as much as I hate to admit it – right.

I shouldn't go to sleep. Not if I have a concussion, and that is a possibility. My skull is still throbbing, the pain stretching down to my neck. There's no saying what'll happen if I doze off.

So, even as my eyes burn in protest, I keep them pried open, watching the vast desert go by, and I think. I think back to the dream I had when I blacked out earlier.

The chaos from after the time I woke up has since died down, so now my thoughts linger back to it.

I almost forgot about that time. About how Jonas and I ran, scurrying out of that little, nobody town. It's almost funny, really. Looking back at it now. We probably looked like such caricatures. Running as bullets flew by. I smile as the memory plays out, but then I frown.

Jonas. The poor guy. He put up a lot with my shit. Most of the time it was harmless but that time...it was riskier. I know it was. I spoke out of turn in a town neither of us had ever been in. We had no friends or allies there. No one knew us. We were the strangers, and Jonas was right. I was placing my nose where it didn't belong.

Self-righteous and dedicated are the words that come to mind, but at the same time, naïve and arrogant also surface. And an ass.

I squeeze my eyes shut, remembering what I said to him and the look on his face that followed.

Most fourteen-year-olds don't live like a freakin' nomad. Such simple and empty words to the outside world, but to me, they were a weapon. And to him, they were wounding. I know they cut him. I had seen it in his eyes, but he played it off. Probably not wanting to show just how bad it actually hurt. And it did. It did hurt him. I know it did.

I never did really apologize for saying that. I should have. But there are a lot of things I should have done, but I can't change or take any of them back. They have become solidified memories now.

"Oh, Kanyon," Meryl says. I turn, looking at her glimpse at me through the rearview mirror. "I forgot to ask you earlier, but where are you heading? If we're heading to the same place, then we might be able to just take you to your location."

Good question. Where am I going? Based on my observations, Knives is definitely heading east, if not already there. But how far east? As far east as it gets? In July? Something tells me that's it.

"East," I reply. "To July."

"Really?" Her tone brightens. "What a coincidence! That's where we're heading. What's taking you to July?"

I chew my lower lip. I can't tell them. There's no way in hell that I can tell these strangers about what I'm planning. If they don't already think I'm crazy, then they will.

"Business," I say, trying to flash a smile. "And maybe some play. What about you lot? What is taking the Stampede all the way to July?"

There is a beat of silence, and then Roberto replies dryly, "Also business."

I crack a small smile, joking, "Oh? Should I be worried that the Stampede has business in July too?"

I'm teasing, of course. I couldn't care less what their plans are in July. Though, I must say, it is intriguing that they're going the same way I am.

"No. No, you should be fine," Meryl laughs, but I can still hear the strain in her voice.

"Have you ever been to July before?" Vash asks, almost seeming to want to redirect the conversation.

I look at him, studying the way he smiles. Anxious is the best way to describe it. Or maybe uncomfortable. I can't really tell which.

I lift a brow, confused by his reaction. "Oh, uh. No. Not that I can recall. This will be my first time. What about you?"

He looks at me for a moment, then replies warmly, "Yeah. Once before, but it's been a long while since then." His smile broadens, though there's still something hollow about it. "My brother lives there, actually."

"Oh? Hoping for a little family reunion?"

The smile falls, becoming small. "Maybe. I wish it could be that."

I study him. I've known him all an hour or two, and I can already tell there's a sore spot there.

"Estranged?" I press.

"I guess you could say that," he says.

"Well, hopefully, it all works out for you two."

"Thanks."

There's that smile again. It kind of hurts to look at. It's as if there's this twinge that pulls at my chest, but I'm not really sure why.

"Well, we're not making it to July anytime soon," Roberto says, his gruff voice pulling my attention back to the front. "The battery needs to be charged, and we should probably find a hotel to stay at."

"Agreed," Meryl adds. "I'm starving."

"A nice slab of cooked worm sounds good right about now," Nicholas chuckles.

"Eww." Meryl shivers. "Don't remind me of that."

"It was tasty." Nicholas continues.

"Stop," Meryl says, her tone warning.

"How about donuts?" Vash asks. He glimpses from person to person, landing on me.

"No. That's a breakfast food," Meryl says, shooting down his suggestion.

"Too sweet," Nicholas adds.

"What about you?" he presses, looking at me.

His big, blue eyes. They are deep and shimmering. Just like the ocean. Well, just like the images of the ocean I had seen in the books in my father's study when I was a little girl that had been brought from Earth long before us. Vast open water, stretching for as far as the eye can see. It sounds wonderful. A lot better than this unholy place.

I shrug, "Why not? Donuts sound good to me. Besides, it's been a while since I last had one."

A certain light fills his eyes and he turns back to the front as Meryl says, "You two are going to be bouncing off the walls from the sugar."

"Well, he might," I tease. "I can't really do that right now."

"That is...fair," she says, trying to muffle her snickers.

"That's okay," he says suddenly, drawing my attention back to him. He is facing forward. "We'll just keep each other company."

Then he turns, once again facing me as he flashes another warm smile, and my heart sputters.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out what this man did to earn a six-billion double-dollar bounty on his head, but I am intrigued.

**Ello lovelies! Well, another day, another chapter. Nothing too exciting happened, but now it's looking like Kanyon might be traveling to July with our Stampede friends. But what will happen before then? Guess you'll have to stay tuned to find out! And I hope this story goes according to plan. Will it? Hopefully. Hopefully. We'll see if I'm lucky. Anyways, that'll do for today. As always, thank y'all so, so much for everything! Y'all are awesome sauce! Wuv yous!! <3**

-Noel Ross