Chapter 12: Lingering Heat

Kanyon

"It's this one, right?" Vash asks, nodding at one of the beds.

He takes small steps toward it, carefully holding me. For a moment, I almost think I can feel his heartbeat. It feels slow and steady, almost gentle. Just like his touch or the way he carries me. And my heart sputters, but I swallow it.

"Yeah," I answer, not glimpsing up at him. "It's that one."

"Alright. Here ya go." Easily and steadily, he places me down on the mattress. It creaks and squeaks under my weight as I try to readjust myself, him watching all the while. "Be careful. Here, let me help."

He reaches over, his hands gingerly taking hold of my waist as he helps me to move further on the bed, and my heart skips a beat. His palm feels so warm, and even his prosthetic hand is gentle, making sure not to hurt or injure me.

I watch him, feeling my heart skip a beat as I glimpse at him. His eyes are focused on his hands, probably to ensure he is as careful as possible, hidden under his thick eyelashes. It's almost funny. I never noticed how long and thick his eyelashes are. They're very pretty, and I can't tell if I'm jealous or –

His eyes flutter up, meeting mine, and my heart leaps, jumping into my throat, almost taking my breath away.

They look so warm. So warm and soft. Like oceans or pools. Isn't that right? Isn't that how the books describe it? Massive bodies of water that reflect the sky's azure stretch. That's what his eyes are like.

And suddenly, I feel so lost in them. Almost as if I am drifting in this surge, trying to find my way out. But...do I want to find my way out? Do I really want to step out of them and be reemerged into this sweltering place?

Not really.

Our gazes remain trained on each other's, each staring as my pulse strums in my ears loudly. Deafening, almost. And for a moment, I wonder if he can hear it. Can he hear the way the blood swooshes through the vessels, matching each beat of my heart? Or does he notice the shift in our breathing? Shallow and hoarse.

Can he feel it? Can he hear it? Does he notice?

And suddenly, there is this heaviness in the air. One that weighs down on us, surrounding us, and I know he feels it. The flush of his cheeks and the gentle pants rolling between his lips tells me he does. Whatever it is, we both feel it, and it is almost electrifying.

Zapping and cracking through the air like a whip. Intense and magnetizing. Pulling and pulling until I see it. Or feel it.

Slowly, his head is moving closer to mine, and mine – to my surprise – toward his. Each without thought, our minds blank and eyes fixated on the other.

My heart is beating fast, slamming itself against my aching ribs, faster and faster as my pulse becomes loud – so much louder than before. So intensely that I almost believe my heart will burst through my ribs.

He is close now. So close that I can feel the heat pulsating from him, his palm white-hot against my waist, even through the fabric of my clothes. His fingers are planted firmly against my torso, the muscles in his shoulders seeming to flex.

Our eyes are still locked on each other's, our eyelids starting to flutter closed as his lips hover over mine. I can feel his presence, the sensation of electricity simmering across my skin, sending chills down my spine. And then...

Nothing.

Abruptly, all becomes still, and he pulls away, my eyes opening again just as he stands. His eyes avert to the floor, a bright red brushing his cheeks as he clears his throat.

"Well, I should...I should get going. You're probably tired." His eyes glimpse at mine briefly as he turns, waving. "I-I'll see ya. Ouch." He stubs his foot against Meryl's bed, almost falling. He chuckles and waves again. "S-sorry. See ya!"

And then he's gone, closing the door behind him, leaving me all alone, confused and baffled.

My head is spinning, swirling with questions, and wondering what just happened. What did happen? What didn't happen? What was that? And why is my body reacting like this?

In my chest, my heart is still beating fiercely. Each beat knocks and hammers against my ribs heavily, acting as a drum as the pulse in my ears throb. But slowly, the electricity from earlier starts to simmer out, easing the adrenaline that is coursing through my veins.

And before long, I am sitting, staring at the closed door, still curious as to what just happened. Wondering what it was. Asking myself if it was anything.

Then, without really thinking, my fingers migrate to where his had been, feeling the warmth of my body. The heat that emanates from it. So warm and comforting, chasing the chill of my fingertips away.

And I know that some of that warmth is his, lingering as a memory.

**Ello lovelies! So, that chapter? Hmm, hmm? It was a tease, wasn't it? Ya thought they were gonna kiss but NOPE! Not yet. What? Listen, as a writer, I gotta have my fun. Unfortunately for y'all, it won't be as fun lol. I'm sorry, I'm sorry. Or am I? I know, I'm evil lol. But yeah, it wasn't much, but it was something. Any idea what'll happen in the coming chapters? Stay tuned to find out! So, today (09/16/2023 as of typing) I got a cute little Halloween-themed ceramic tree. Kinda like those Christmas ones, but make it spooky. It was the last one and I love it. It's so cute! Halloween is my favorite holiday. I love it so much. That said, it should still be January by the time I post this, so it'll be way after spooky season. Random, but I felt like sharing. Well, that'll do for today! Thank y'all so, so much for everything! Y'all really and truly are the absolute bestest! Wuv yous!! <3**

-Noel Ross